Patriots ‘Deflate-gate’ scandal calls for discipline

Those New England Patriots just cannot seem to stay out of trouble. This week, while the team celebrates its win over the Indianapolis Colts and subsequent advancement into the Super Bowl, the rest of the world wonders whether the team’s 2014 record is actually legitimate. 

NFL officials said 11 of the Patriots’ 12 footballs measured two pounds under the required range of 12.5-13.5 PSI (pounds per square inch) at halftime last Sunday night. This would put their footballs at around 10.5 PSI. Even to a person off the streets, this difference is quite obvious. A football at such a low level is easy to squeeze and hold. 

Tom Brady has spoken up and claimed he knew nothing about the deflation. While possibly someone else tampered with the footballs without directly telling him, I do not believe for a split second that the malleability of those footballs escaped his notice. 

As for Belichick, we know his track record. Perhaps he did not know it’s possible those cheating did not tell him in order for his innocence to be genuine. However, his past actions lead me to the reasonable conclusion that he would not oppose a player sneaking around the rules in a shady fashion. 

Statistically, there’s no way it could have happened by accident. One or two footballs, sure. But 11 in the second biggest game of the year? Not a chance. Some claim the weather in New England could have affected the footballs, but this would have resulted in at least some of the Colts’ footballs deflating too; they did not.  The footballs also would have had to undergo a significant degree temperature change. The balmy climate on Sunday night — especially compared to New England — refutes this theory.

In the last couple of days information has leaked a locker room attendant was possibly seen on a surveillance video taking the footballs (after testing) into a separate room before they made it to the field. While this could become a big clue in solving the case of the flat footballs, we should not jump to any conclusions.

If the Patriots are proven guilty, the matter of a punishment will become a concern. I do not believe it’s a big enough issue to kick them out of the Super Bowl, as some have called for, but I do think serious repercussions should come down. An obligatory fine should be imposed — though honestly, I don’t think those really hurt teams — and their first round draft pick should be taken away.

If Brady himself is found responsible, some personal form of punishment should take place. Instead of or in addition to a fine, I think suspension from the first two games next year would sufficiently drive the point home.

With eight appearances and three Super Bowl wins, the Patriots are certainly  a dynasty. Interestingly, all of the victories took place in the last 10 years under Belichick. Though this kind of success should definitely be applauded, the Patriots can afford a few questions about their team integrity. If the NFL wants to hold to a standard of truth, honesty and legitimacy, then they shouldn’t fear checking in on all of the teams and holding them accountable when something smells fishy in order to remain aboveboard in every area.