New faces eager to fill big shoes this season

The most anticipated sport on campus right now is football. Coach Dan Mullen  set a high standard for the bulldogs upcoming year with returning faces like Dak Prescott and De’Runnya “Bear” Wilson. The new faces on the team are the ones in question, especially on defense. 

Without defensive coordinator Geoff Collins or   stud linebacker Benadrick Mckinney, the defense has a lot to prove.   Not only that but the departures of big names like McKinney, Preston Smith, and Dillon Day take away a great deal of production from one of the most succesful teams in Mississippi

State history.  

One relatively fresh face Mississippi State fans have seen  is the new center taking over for  Day, junior center Jamaal Clayborn. Day was a crucial  leader on the field last year, as his ability to recognize what the defense was doing was a viable asset to the entire offensive unit.  

Many say it would be hard to replace someone like Day because of  his  role  on and off the field. Clayborn, who  will be hiking to Dak this upcoming season said that he is pleased with his growh at the center positon. 

“ I feel more confident in what I am doing,” Clayborn said.  “I am just trying to go out there and get better everyday.”

Clayborn also credited the Bulldog defense for his development.

“Going against a great defense helps. Coach Diaz gives us several different looks, which helps us focus on mental things,” the junior center said.   Clayborn assures he is getting better daily and is prepared for the season. 

While  Clayborn gets used to the offense, Manny Diaz is also a somewhat new face on the sidelines this year. After stints at Texas and Louisiana Tech, Diaz returns to Starkville to take the helm of the defensive unit. 

When asked about the pressure on returning to David Wade he states,  “ I don’t know what pressure is. We have a pretty high standard on how we play defense. The more you do this, then it becomes more about the people who play.” He also commented on new recruits like Leo Lewis, saying “ I am really excited about Leo, instinctively he is really gifted.”

Yet another player thrust into a starting role is junior defensive back  Kivon Coman. Coman saw a significant amount of playing time last year and will be one of many looked upon to mend a defense that allowed 272.8 yards per game. Coman said he is excited to be playing alongside Kendrick Market.   

“ I understand that we are essentially the last line of defense,” he said. “I love challenges and I am ready to be challenged this season.” Coman will be replacing  Justin Cox. 

All in all, Mississippi State does have some good upcoming players from the bench to the new recruits. Next season is a must see with all the hype from last season and new faces.