Competing in Miss MSU offers profound benefits

Amelia Treptow | Courtesy Photograph

Randi-Kathryn Harmon (pictured) competed and won the title of Miss Mississippi State University 2015 last year. The competition is offered for any full time MSU student between the age of 17 and 24. Harmon, Master’s graduate student at the Health Promotion and Wellness Center, said the once in a lifetime opportunity presented her with several great memories and there’s nothing like being a MSU Bulldog.

The Miss Mississippi State University Scholarship Pageant will take place Nov. 13 at 7 p.m. in Lee Hall’s Bettersworth Auditorium.

The Miss MSU Pageant is a local preliminary pageant for Miss Mississippi and Miss America.

To participate, a contestant must be a full time MSU student between the ages of 17 and 24. Contestants will have a 10-minute interview with judges prior to the pageant about their scholastic goals, community service, current events and why they want to represent MSU. Contestants also compete in 90-second talent, life style in swim wear, evening wear and are required to answer an on stage question.

Miss MSU 2016 will win a full tuition scholarship, clothing from Deep South Pout, official photos and a photoshoot with MSU mascot Jak, a $500 Barnes and Noble gift card and the crown and sash.

The first runner up will receive a $1,000 scholarship, second runner up will receive a $750 scholarship and third runner up will receive a $500 scholarship. This year, for the first time, $200 cash prizes will be awarded to the overall winner in swimwear, talent, interview and fan favorite.

Amelia Treptow, assistant director of student activities, said a crucial part of the Miss America Organization is having a platform each contestant is dedicated to.

“These platforms range in area of interest and can vary from providing service, bringing awareness to a cause or raising funds,” Treptow said.

The      official platform of the Miss America Organization is the Children’s Miracle Network.

Miss MSU 2015 Randi-Kathryn Harmon said her personal platform is her favorite portion of the competition. Her personal platform is P.E.A.C.E. Daily (Physical Activity and Careful Eating). She is also a published children’s author and her book can be purchased at select Barnes and Noble stores, including the campus location and on her personal website at www.peacedaily.org. 

Harmon said she does not have just one favorite memory as Miss MSU 2015.

“Ringing my cowbell at the Davis Wade Stadium in front of all the Bulldog fans was most memorable. Visiting LeBonheur and St. Jude Children’s Hospital watching those children’s faces light up when  I  walked into a room was  the most impressionable,” she said. “From singing the National Anthem on the basketball court, the softball field, at The Drill and the Egg Bowl, I can say I have enjoyed every second of being Miss MSU 2015.”

Harmon, from Amory, Mississippi, has a bachelor’s degree in communications with an emphasis in public relations and is in her first year of graduate school to earn a master’s degree in health promotion. She works as a graduate student at the Health Promotion and Wellness Center doing nutritional programs. 

Harmon said her advice for Miss MSU 2016 is to take every opportunity that arises because the time passes fast.

“It gets to be a busy, overwhelming time, but with time management skills, a calendar and Ms. Amelia, the awesome Miss MSU director, she can definitely accomplish what is needed to be done,” Harmon said. “Don’t rush through any appearance because you’ll quickly realize that the year comes and goes very quickly. It’s a once in a lifetime opportunity so meet as many people as you can, speak the kindest words and be proud to hold the title Miss Mississippi State University 2016 because there’s nothing like being a Mississippi State University Bulldog.” 

For more information about the Miss MSU Pageant, follow on Twitter and Instagram @MissMSUmao or on Facebook  MissMSU.