Bulldogs set to face Auburn, reeling defense

Sarah Story

With the fifth largest crowd in Davis Wade Stadium, fans from both teams witnessed that Mississippi State Univeristy (2-1) is back  at it with a whopping  62-13 win against the Northwestern State Demons(0-3). Despite two fumbles  by Dak Prescott and Fred Ross, MSU continued to be relentless. 

Not only did Dak Prescott break Wayne Madkin’s 2001 record of 6,336 passing career yards by 46 yards, but the Bulldogs  set a new school record for most yards gained during a single game. “It’s all cool, I really don’t think too much about what record I broke or what all it really means,” Prescott said. “It’s early in the year. We still have a long way to go. It doesn’t mean much right now.”The 647 yards were made by State’s 275 rushing and 372 receiving yards.

Many would call MSU’s performance phenomenal, although expected. Some would call Auburn’s performance against LSU last week a disappointment and there is even talk of the possibility of starting quarterback, Jeremy Johnson losing his position. 

“We’re going to evaluate everything after today,” Auburn coach Gus Malzahn said. “Every position. We got to get better. It ain’t just him, it’s all positions and that’s the way we’re going to operate.” Because of Johnson’s six interceptions, off aim and poor timing skills, Malzahn’s decision was a smart move. With two turn overs and an explosive defense, LSU shamed Auburn with a 45-21 victory. With 100 yards passing and a total of 141 offensive yards gained against the Tigers, it seems like just about everyone is skeptical of Johnson.

The offensive line was not up to par either, allowing four sacks and a strip sack that put in motion LSU’s next touchdown. Defense didn’t perform much better. The  Tiger’s star running back, Leonard Fournette, was not even hit until he was more than five yards past the line of scrimmage on eight out of 19 carries. 

In other words, 42 percent of the time Fournette had the football in hand, he was not touched until he was well on his way to a touchdown. With that performance by Auburn’s defense, Fournette easily set a new per-carry average for Louisiana State.  Two of the last teams Auburn has competed with have rushed for more than 400 yards.  Will Johnson be benched during this awaited rivalry? All shall see in Auburn, AL. .at 6:30p.m. on Saturday.