Volleyball drops two of three on road

This past weekend, Mississippi State Volleyball played on the road for the first time this season at the Golden Dome Invitational in South Bend, Indiana. They faced off against Penn State, Notre Dame and Eastern Kentucky over the course of two days.

MSU began on Friday playing the host, Notre Dame. The Fighting Irish would take the match 3-1 in closely contested sets. The Irish took the first set 26-24 and the lone win for the Bulldogs came in the second set 28-26. The Irish would take over in the third and fourth sets 25-14 and 25-16. 

“We feel like we let the first game slip away, but came back strong in the second playing true Bulldog volleyball,” MSU Head Coach David McFatrich said. “We are going to take a number of things from this match, get better and come back strong.”

On Saturday, the Bulldogs started the day early. Facing off against the number one team in the country, Penn State, in a 9:00 a.m. start. The Nittany Lions swept the Bulldogs 3-0, winning the three sets 25-16, 25-14 and 25-12.

“We had a tough match against the No. 1 team in the nation,” Head Coach David McFatrich said. “I’m proud of the way the girls played against a tough opponent.”

Saturday afternoon, MSU faced off against Eastern Kentucky. The Bulldogs swept the Colonels in convincing fashion. MSU won the three sets 25-20, 25-10 and 25-13. Their lone match win on the weekend.

The Bulldogs were led by Junior Evie Grace Singleton on offense. Singleton had 39 kills in the Invitational and had 15 against Notre Dame. The MSU defense was once again led by Sophomore Peyton Harris. Harris had 41 digs in the invitational and had 21 against Notre Dame alone. 

The Bulldogs are now 7-3 on the season. They will conclude their non-conference schedule in Memphis, Tennessee ,this weekend at the Tiger Invitational.