MSU CAAD Faculty Art Exhibition opens in VAC

The Mississippi State University College of Architecture, Art and Design (CAAD) opened a new exhibit yesterday at the Visual Arts Center Gallery. The gallery is located at 808 University Drive, directly off campus. 

The exhibit consists of works from 19 different artists. 

Lori Neuenfeldt, art history instructor and coordinator for the gallery, said she was excited for the grand opening of the exhibit. She said she enjoys seeing so much hard work on display for others and herself to enjoy as well. 

“The CAAD Faculty exhibition in particular is always a favorite of mine (and students) because faculty is showing their latest and most recent work,” Neuenfeldt said. “It’s really a treat to know each and every one of the artists in the exhibit personally and to hear them talk about their work.”

Neuenfeldt said there is a wide array of pieces that will resonate with a  large group of viewers.

“The faculty show has so many different types of art and styles, that anyone who comes to see it, will find a piece they love,” she said. “I really enjoy hearing visitors talk about their favorite pieces or asking questions about the artist or their work.”

Neuenfeldt said the show is   not only for people to look at and enjoy, but for them to think about what the show means to them and what it may mean to someone else. She said it is special because it signifies what people tend to go through before they reach their comfort zone. 

“The exhibit shows how faculty here at MSU thinks about the world around us, from universal concepts to the microscopic — in a visual way. The show signifies what’s possible and the different paths we use to get there,” she said. 

Neuenfeldt said the exhibit portrays the talents of the CAAD faculty in a creative manner.

“The CAAD faculty are exploring and researching but using art as their tool. It’s exciting that the exhibit will show the university and the community what I know, which is how amazing the CAAD faculty really is,” she said.

Raven Carpenter, junior fashion design and merchandising major, said she is planning to attend the show for personal reasons.

“I  am attending the exhibit because I feel like it could really help me. As a Fashion major, I also have to take art related courses, which I always seem to enjoy,” she said. “I’m not sure when I will go to the show, but I’m excited to see what everyone has done to make it great.” 

The show will be on display to the public until Oct. 24. Guests are free to attend from 1-5 p.m. on Monday through Friday, or on Saturday from 1-4 p.m. The gallery is also open by appointment.  

For more information contact Lori Nuenfeldt at 662-325-2970.