Supporting fellow classmates carries importance

From 2000 to 2013, there have been 160 active shooter incidents in the United States with a death toll of 486 and a casualty toll of 557. Keeping these numbers in mind, is it really a surprise the entire campus at Mississippi State University went berserk last week at the alert of an “active shooter” – who turned out to not even have a gun?

Statistically, it is less likely to be killed in an active shooting incident than by homicide. The threat of an active shooting is arguably the most frightening situation, especially on a college campus. This is because we have been taught that avoiding certain parts of cities can prevent being a victim of a crime, but a maniac active shooter is seemingly out of our control, thus, a terror to our senses. 

Whether these shooting incidents are caused by attention from the media, gun control laws or the rise of mental health problems in the U.S. is not the topic of discussion for this article. The topic is, there may be something every individual can do to prevent a possible active shooting in the future. It seems there is a common personality pattern in potential shooters, so maybe there is a way to dismantle the irrational bitterness toward the world and welcome them to the happy, healthy and prosperous life style we all deserve. 

It is difficult to empirically prove how having a good support system of friends and family have a positive impact on individuals who may have homicidal tendencies and are struggling to adapt to their communities. 

A few of the major characteristics of an active shooter is he/she is a loner at school or work and often labeled as “creepy” or “weird” and deem themselves as outcasts in society. This causes issues with socializing for these people because often times other people do not necessarily want to associate with said person, therefore alienating them further. 

As a result of rejection, an individual may lose sense of self-worth and control over his or her life. Often times, this causes subjects to seek power by channeling their will force toward self-destruction and the destruction of others. This is the human body’s natural fight-or–flight response. Hence, he or she turns to violence for power; instead of addressing the real issues in his or her life that make them feel weak. 

Depression and anger are common symptoms of a lonely brain. As the saying goes, “No man is an island.” Everyone needs family, friends or just a good support system to help channel that positive energy back into said person’s life. Just as it is the duty of the person who always feels like an outsider to make themselves known, it is also the duty of every individual privileged to have a normal circle of friends to reach out in love and consideration for another person.

Small acts of kindness go a long way. Just start by asking your fellow classmates about their day or invite them to lunch. And always remember to empathize with others no matter the situation. And if you do happen to click with a random stranger that experiences depression, loneliness and suicidal thoughts, he or she may possibly feel the need to open up about their past experiences in their lives that caused them to feel that way. In return, you can offer love, guidance and support to help them deal with said issues. In all, be kind and attentive to your fellow classmates because sometimes a positive message or thought is all it takes to bring someone out of a rut.