Fashion Board hosts ‘This is How We Do’ fashion show

With Homecoming right around the corner, Mississippi State University is gearing up for one fun-filled week. On Wednesday, MSU’s Fashion Board is joining the festivities by hosting a fashion show.

The show will pay homage to Katy Perry. The official title of the fashion show is, “This is How We Do,” which is a song from her album, “Prism,” released in 2013. The show will be bold, bright and embody the carefree spirit of one of the country’s most beloved pop stars. 

The fashion show has been in the works since last spring .

Head of backstage June Clare Pilcher, junior educational psychology major, said she is excited for the show.

“I am more than ecstatic that it is actually happening,” she said. “We have been working so hard as a backstage team. This show is going to be full of surprises.”  

Pilcher said there are several rewards as well as challenges to directing backstage. 

“The hardest part of my position is definitely the attention to detail that is necessary to create an outstanding production. There is a lot of pressure on the backstage team and if I mess up one thing, it will be noticeable,” Pilcher said. “Basically it is a lot of hard work and dedication. However, it is the most rewarding feeling in the world to watch a show you have contributed so much time and effort to and seeing all of its glory.” 

Head of Vendor Relations Sarah Sullivan, sophomore communication major, said the backstage committee did its utmost to make the show a success. 

“I am most excited about the set for the show,” Sullivan said. “Our backstage team has been working so hard to create a Katy Perry inspired atmosphere and it will be something people do not want to miss.” 

First-year backstage committee member Krisheena Carter, junior communication major, said she  hopes the audience picks up on the show’s theme.

“We want the audience to feel like they just left a Katy Perry concert or at least be able to make the correlation between our show and hers,” Carter said. 

The show begins at 8 p.m. at Skate Odyssey. Space is limited and shows tend to fill up quickly, so it is advised to get there early. The show is open to students as well as the general public and admission is free.