Camp Kanakuk offers students summer opportunities

Students often spend summers looking for summer jobs or internships, but camp counselors are also in demand during the summertime. Numerous Mississippi State University students have attended Kanakuk, a Christian based camp, as both campers and counselors.
 Kanakuk is dedicated to the development of dynamic Christian leaders through life-changing experiences, growing one’s relationship with God and spiritual training.
Abby Shover, the assistant women’s director at K-2, Kanakuk’s two and four week overnight camp for campers ages 12-18, said Kanakuk counselors should enjoy serving others while enjoying themselves as well.
“To be a great staff member at Kanakuk, you need to love Jesus and have a heart for seeing kids come to know Him,” she said. “You don’t have to be an athlete.”
Lauren Bean, sophomore interior design major, said she felt rewarded by being able to witness the growth of the girls she guided.
“It was awesome knowing they went home with the goal to glorify the Lord in everything they do,” Bean said.
Kanakuk primarily recruits college students. However, the camp’s leadership staff includes teachers and youth ministry workers.  The camp will interview over students from over 250 colleges and universities this year.
Shover said Kanakuk is a place where you leave a different person than when you came I and she said she hopes “Kampers” and counselors will leave the camp enlightened.
“Whether that means hearing the Gospel for the first time or growing in their existing relationship with Him, it is our hope that our Kampers and counselors grow closer to the Lord while they are at Kanakuk this summer,” Shover said.
Rachel Hicks, freshman kinesiology major, attended Kanakuk in high school and said she feels like she made lifelong friendships through the camp.
 “My favorite part about Kanakuk was meeting so many new friends,” Hicks said. “I went the summer between 10th and 11th grade and there are still girls I am constantly in contact with.”
For more information about Kanakuk, visit www.kanakuk.com or attend the interest meeting Nov. 3 in Allen Hall, room 11 at 8 p.m.