Rugby hopes success brings exposure

Mississippi State University is known for their football team and overall great athletics. This includes a sport with one of the greatest accomplishments in the past year. That is, placing 13th  in the American college league, second place in the SCRC Championship, being crowned the 2014-2015 SCRC West Champions and 20th in the league. 

The Mississippi State Maddawgs Rugby team is not often talked about but is quietly one of the most successful organizations at the university. 

Rugby hides in the shadow of college football- one of the most beloved of America’s games. Most think that since Rugby and football share the same attributes, Rugby does not require the same attention. MSU’s Rugby team is considered a club sport. Therefore they are excluded from the  classic “Bulldog” name and mascot, less funding and most importantly promotions from Mississippi State. Coach Evan Kaplan, a Biology professor, is the second-year coach of the team. 

“We are a student ran organization really,” Kaplan explained. “It’s all about them. If they don’t pay their dues, there’s no team. It’s pressure on them to drive their own car to games, to buy their own hotels.” 

Rugby is a tough sport to play with more than frequent injuries. Some players play with a chip on their shoulder to not only prove to themselves they deserve another West division championship  ,but in hopes to get more university support. 

“Just like the football players, we sacrifice our bodies day in and day out and  still take time to focus on academics to play a game we love,” first-year player  Camrin Bowens said. Bowens knows the love and praise football gets from playing in high school. He is also a first hand witness to the promotion of football as his father ,Tim Bowens, was a two time pro bowl defensive tackle for the Miami Dolphins in ’94-04’.  

Rugby is just like any other sport  in the SEC. However, instead of the SEC, the Maddawgs play in the Southeastern Collegiate Rugby Conference. Their record now is 3-2 overall and 1-2 in the West SCRC conference. Their rivals are just like any other  Mississippi State athletics team- Ole Miss, Alabama and Auburn.

Though not covered much, the wildly successful Maddawgs have been craving the attention they deserve and have earned. The young team strives for another successful year. 

The Maddawgs’ next action will come this Saturday as they face Auburn on the road. 

Then, the team will    face the University of Alabama on Oct. 31 here in Starkville. Kickoff is 1:00 p.m. at the MSU  Intramural Fields.