MSU set to take on Louisiana Tech for Homecoming

Noah Siano
MSU set to face Louisiana Tech

In a non-conference matchup that serves as Mississippi State’s homecoming game, the Bulldogs of Louisiana Tech look to spoil the celebration. In a matchup of Bulldogs, both teams come into Saturday with a 4-2 record.

Manny Diaz, Mississippi State’s defensive coordinator returned this year after a few years away from the team.  This is his first matchup against his former team. So far this season, Diaz has State’s defense sitting at 47th nationally.

On the other hand, Louisiana Tech is sitting at 17th in the nation offensively. They are led by graduate transfer quarterback Jeff Driskel who formerly played at Florida. The real threat on their offense is senior running back Kenneth Dixon. He is currently the active career NCAA rushing yards leader and ranks second in  active career rushing touchdowns.

With a secondary that has been outstanding in their career, this season  has not been great overall for Louisiana Tech’s defense. That will undoubtedly be the deciding factor in the game.  Tech is an outstanding Conference USA team, but can they compete with Mississippi State’s elite defensive line and  offense that rarely turns the ball over?

State’s offense has been superb passing the ball, having the three quarterbacks combine for 12 touchdowns and no interceptions. Although the run game has been awful, the team has done fairly well and should not have any problem with stopping Kenneth Dixon.

Dak Prescott will be the key factor in this game, just as he has been in every game so far this season. Prescott missed most of last week with a stomach virus, but is said to be fine this week. He will be throwing to his two favorite receivers, Fred Ross and De’Runnya Wilson, while Gabe Myles and Joe Morrow will be out with injuries.

With that being said, starting tight end Gus Walley is expected to play after being out with a hand injury. With Wilson, Ross, and Walley contributing to the pass attack, there should be no problem scoring points against a defense that has been subpar.

Mississippi State opens up as a 14 point favorite over the visiting Bulldogs, but that number has been changing constantly. Kickoff in Davis Wade Stadium is set for Saturday morning at 11:00 a.m.