New class registration process starts this semester

This semester,    Mississippi State University’s Registrar office and ITS implemented a new paperless class registration process.
John Dickerson, university registrar at MSU, said when developing this new system, they tried to address every concern brought up by faculty and administration. He said the Registrar’s office begain meeting with faculty and administration about a year ago to develop another process for registration. 
The new system is mainly online. Dickerson said any adviser can release a student. When a student is released through the new program, the student will receive an email with information including the registration time. The email will also include any holds a student might have on their account.
Dickerson said the new system will tighten advising.
“This system leaves a trail, so advisors can see who released students.” 
Amy Fountain, instructor and advisor in the Communication department, said the new system is effecient because everything is online. Fountain said the new system did not put any additional work on her as an advisor.
“One plus is that there are no more sheets having to be printed, which will equal less waste,” Fountain said.
Dickerson said the old system allowed faculty andstaff members to look up students’ RAC numbers, which would allow them to register.
 Dickerson said in the past they have printed out a blue information sheet that included a RAC number and registration time for every student.
Dickerson said in addition to the process now being paperless, advisors can now view their entire department at once and the registration process is now linked directly with CAPP compliance. 
John Nicholson, an associate professor as well as an advisor in the Communication department, said he felt like the new system was fantastic. Nicholson said he has heard no complaints and the new process is more streamlined. 
Nicholson said he had a situation where a student took a semester off and was returning; this new system made it easier for him to provide the student with needed information.
 “It is a modest, but welcomed convince,” Nicholson said.
Fountian said she thought the new process would be easier for students since there are no RAC number sheets for them to keep up with. Fountain said from an advisor’s point of view, not a lot has changed, but it does seem easier for registration and students.
Kathleen Foil, a junior education major, said the new process was easier because she can easily get her registration information and can go back and check at any time. 
Foil said the university was probably thinking of what was best for everyone when the new system was developed.
Ben Otten, a sophomore business major, said he thought the new process provided greater efficiency for all. Otten said he believed this system is easier than the previous one because RAC numbers did get lost numerous times. 
“The online process allows for enhanced efficiency and it provides a more simplistic way to register for classes,” Otten said.
Dickerson said the credit for this new system should go towards ITS, who built it.
Dickerson said in addition to the process now being paperless, advisers can now view their entire department at once and the registration process is now linked directly with CAPP compliance. 
John Nicholson, associate professor and adviser in the Communication department, said he felt the new system was fantastic. Nicholson said he has heard no complaints and the new process is more streamlined. 
Nicholson also said he had a situation where a student took a semester off and then returned. He siad this new system made it easier for him to provide the student with needed information.
 “It is a modest, but welcomed convenience,” Nicholson said.
Fountain said she thought the new process would be easier for students since there are no RAC number sheets for them to keep up with. Fountain said from an adviser’s point of view, not much has changed, but it does seem easier for registration and students.
Dickerson said credit for this new system should go to ITS, who built it.