Project Semicolon prevents suicide

Mississippi State University’s Department of Health Promotion and Wellness adopted a new social media campaign for the month of November called Project Semicolon. 

“Project Semicolon” is a suicide prevention campaign designed for students to share their stories. The goal of the semicolon is to make people believe that “this is not the end but a new beginning.” 

MSU encourages students to use social media as an outlet for these stories. To share a story or read the story of others, look at Project Semicolon on Facebook, Twitter or Instagram.

Project Semicolon is a non- profit movement that has reached people at a global level. According to projectsemicolon.org, the organization was made to give hope and love to those who are struggling with mental illness, suicide, addiction and self-injury. 

Project Semicolon was founded by Amy Bleuel after she overcame many obstacles in her life. 

“Despite the wounds of a dark past I was able to rise from the ashes proving that the best is yet to come,” Bleuel said.

She said she found strength and love through the fight with the mental illness she struggled with for more than 20 years. Bleuel encourages others to share their story with the hope of it impacting another person’s life.

“Through the pain came inspiration and a deeper love for others,” Bleuel wrote in her online story. “God wants us to love one another despite the label we wear.” 

She said she hopes that her story will inspire people to share their stories as well, and she encourages everyone that there is hope for a better tomorrow.

For more information on the movement, to read stories or to donate visit www.projectsemicolon.org.