MSU heads to Fayetteville for crucial SEC clash

Emma Katherine Hutto

A host of Mississippi State defenders swarm an Arkansas runner during the team’s matchup last year. The Bulldogs will face the Razorbacks in Fayetteville for the first time since 2003.

Mississippi State will try to bounce back after a tough 31-6 loss to Alabama last Saturday as they take on the Arkansas Razorbacks this weekend. In a contest that the two teams usually play in Little Rock when MSU travels to Arkansas, this will be the first time MSU plays in Fayetteville since a 2003 contest that saw Arkansas blow out MSU 52-6. 

The Razorbacks have one of the most balanced offenses in the country. They are 35th in the country in total passing yards with 2663 and 11th in the country in yards per pass attempt with 9.2. They are also 31st in the country in rushing yards with 2030 and 21st in the country in yards per rushing attempt with 5.2. 

Defensive Coordinator Manny Diaz had high praises for the Arkansas offense this week.

“Their balance is what makes them hard to stop. I think the quarterback (Brandon Allen) is really playing at high level and as the season has gone on more and more weapons are emerging for them to spread the ball around to,” Diaz said.

The Arkansas offense has one of the most consistent tight ends in the country in Hunter Henry. Henry has a reception in 20 straight games and has not dropped a pass in the last ten games, in fact he has only dropped six passes in the 169 times he has been targeted in his career. Henry also leads all tight ends since he entered the  Southeastern Conference  in 2013 with 102 catches and 1412 receiving yards.’

“There are not a lot of things you can do,” Diaz said on limiting Henry this Saturday. “We have to have great eye discipline in the secondary, because it’s almost like you are playing a triple option team, it’s run, run, run, and then all of sudden here comes a deep route and someone’s eyes are in the wrong place and that’s were a lot of their explosive plays come from.”

The MSU defensive line will have its hands full  this Saturday as Arkansas’ offensive line averages 328 pounds and is the heaviest offensive line in the country. 2015 marks the  second year in a row they have boasted the biggest offensive line in the country.

Junior defensive tackle Chris Jones talked with a smile about the matchup. 

Jones said, “They are probably the most physical offensive line we’ll see. I’m going to have to tighten my shoulder pads a little tighter this week.”

On offense, MSU will look to rebound off its worst performance this season scoring just six points. MSU ranks 38th in the country in total offensive yards with 4384. However, there is still a lack of balance as MSU ranks 23rd in the country in passing yards per game with 297.1 and 100th in the country in rushing yards a game with 141.3 yards a game.

It will also help MSU offensively to get some depth in their receiving core back. Malik Dear and Gabe Myles have both been injured over the past few weeks.  Myles played against Alabama  but Dear is still out.  Offensive Coordinator Billy Gonzalez  has said that Dear as well as receiver De’Runnya Wilson, who was injured against Alabama Saturday, will be good to go Saturday. 

Dear is an explosive true freshman who had his biggest game against Texas A&M. In that game he had two catches for 23-yards and a 52-yard touchdown run. He also had six catches for 70 yards against Louisiana Tech.

“He (Dear) is a welcomed addition back,”  Gonzalez  siad on Tuesday about Dear’s return. “He has been anxious got get out there, he wanted to get out there last week, and he suited up for the game and went through drills with us pre-game.”

This will be the last road game of the season for MSU. The Bulldogs will also be going for their third straight win against Arkansas would give them their tenth all time against the Hogs. The game  will kickoff at 6 p.m. and will broadcast on ESPN.