Architecture students build for local children

Mississippi State University fourth- year architecture students have teamed together to design and build a large scale teaching garden and pavilion at the Boys and Girls Club of Starkville, located at 911 Lynn Lane.

The students recently finished the design of the pavilion and it is now in the construction process. Every Monday, Wednesday and Friday, aside from rainy days, they are working on the construction of the space, which will be utilized to promote healthy-eating.  

Jeffery Johnson, Boys and Girls Club unit director, said he is looking forward to seeing the kids and staff get involved with the pavilion once it is finished. 

“It will change the identity of the club and also get kids excited about growing their own foods,” Johnson said. “Also, it is a way for our teams to interact with the outdoors and have their own hangout spot that can be claimed as their own.”

Johnson said he hopes constructing the outdoor garden and pavilion will attract more people to the club while also helping the kids grow as a team and as individuals.

“I believe once they get used to seeing food that’s grown from work they did themselves, they will be more inclined to grow their own foods,” Johnson said. “This can help fight childhood obesity and actually get the community more involved with the Boys and Girls Club.”

Ben Marshall, fourth- year architecture student who is also working on the pavilion, said the department received the Mississippi State Service Learning Grant earlier this year and it has helped fund the majority of the project. 

“To me, this project means getting the chance to use the skill and knowledge we’ve learned in our architecture courses to give back to the community and to learn about service and why it is so important,” Marshall said.

More information regarding the project can be found at the MSU Learn and Grow Facebook page or by contacting Marshall at  [email protected]. To become involved with the Boys and Girls Club, contact Johnson at 901-612-0514.