‘Hotel Transylvania’ sequel opens with bang

The animated comedy “Hotel Transylvania 2,” starring Adam Sandler, Selena Gomez, Andy Samberg, Kevin James and Mel Brooks opened in theaters in September, but still remains in theaters by popular demand. 

Returning director, Genndy Tartakovsky, has done a great  job with keeping the audience interested and entertained again. 

According to Beatrice Verhoeven, writer for The Wrap, a news outlet covering Hollywood, “Hotel Transylvania 2” made $48 million dollars on opening weekend. The film now holds the record for the biggest opening in September.

Since the first movie, Hotel Transylvania is known as the ultimate monster vacation spot. Sandler’s character, Dracula, had to come to a compromise with humans when his daughter Mavis (Gomez) falls in love and marries a red-haired human named Johnny (Samberg). The doors of Hotel Transylvania are opened to humans because now humans are part of the monster family.

When Mavis and Johnny have an almost completely human child named Dennis (Asher Blinkoff), the vicious Dracula becomes the most loving “vampa.” 

Devan Coggan from Entertainment Weekly reiterates the fact the child possesses more human than monster-like qualities. 

“Dracula wholeheartedly embraces his new responsibilities as a “vampa” — that’s vampire grandpa —” Coggan said. “But between Dennis’ flaming red hair and his total lack of fangs, it’s pretty clear that Dennis takes after his decidedly human father, no matter how many bloodthirsty lullabies Dracula sings him.”

With Dennis lacking the monster qualities displayed within the hotel, the couple considers leaving the hotel to live in California with Johnny’s family. Dracula then sets out with his monster friend to try to save his family and to scare little Dennis’s fangs out.

The entire film is full of comedic styled action scenes that keep the audience smiling. The heartwarming scenes keep viewers involved in the outcome of the characters’ lives. 

Coggan said, “Less effective are the cloying family moments and the sheer number of emotional heart-to-hearts rob the flick of its fangs.” 

“‘Hotel Transylvania 3’ is going to happen without me,” Tartakovsky told The Wrap. “Two is enough. I have a   lot of other ideas and I kind of have to express them and have them come out.”

“Hotel Transylvania 2” was a great way for Tartakovsky to leave his mark on the movie industry. Whether Sony decides to make a third movie or not, Tartakovsky will always be known for the record breaking film “Hotel Transylvania 2” that could have never taken place without his original work done in “Hotel Transylvania.”