Photographer speaks on travel

Sarah Dutton | The Reflector

Famous travel photographer Gary Arndt (pictured), spoke in Lee Hall last Wednesday. Arndt shared some of his favorite pictures and the stories that accompanied them. He answered questions and provided an interactive environment for attendees. Arndt has traveled around the world for the past eight and a half years.

Globetrotters international group brought famous travel photographer Gary Arndt to Mississippi State University on Wednesday.

Globetrotter president Andrew Vassil opened the event saying Ardnt was named the 2015 Travel Photographer  of the World. Stephanie Wade, MSU’s Peace Corps Outreach Specialist, followed with a presentation of the Let Girls Learn Initiative. She said this program helps girls in Uganda that are not in school. She said the Peace Corps works to help alleviate this problem.

“We’re all about making a difference in the world community,” Wade said.

The program continued with Arndt’s presentation of his work. The photographer showed attendees some of his favorite pictures from all over the word while telling stories of his travels. 

Arndt said he sold his home and has traveled for the past eight and a half years. He said he began traveling in 2007 in the Pacific. Ardnt said he visited Easter Island where he learned to scuba dive.

“Take time to learn to scuba dive, otherwise you’re missing 70 percent of the world,” Ardnt said.

Arndt said he has also spent a lot of time in Asia. He said the prevalence of the swastika around Japan was frightening at first, but it is just part of their culture. He said he also visited the rice terraces in the Philippines.

Arndt said he also spent time in Jerusalem. He said he went to the Western or “Wailing” Wall. This is a wall where people write their prayers down on sheets of paper and stick them into the wall. He said the wall should actually be called the “party wall” due to the number of bar mitzvahs held there.

“I think Jerusalem is the most photogenic place I’ve ever been to,” Arndt said.

Arndt has also been to places in Africa, Egypt, Antarctica and France just to name a few. He said his advice for going to France is to see the Eiffel Tower at night while it is lit up. He said it is a different experience and people play music and hangout around the tower.

Arndt said he has limits within his travel and will not go to a place that will put his life in danger.

“I don’t want to be a martyr for travel,” Arndt said.

The photographer said that he is able to travel because he does need have the need for a lot of personal belongings and does not waste money on unnecessary items. 

“Milennials are forgoing stuff for experiences,” Arndt said.

Arndt said he uses the Internet to keep up with people while he is away. He has a large social media following of around two million people. He can be found on Instagram at with the username EverythingEverywhere.