‘Que’ Weatherspoon: Above the rim, under the radar

Photo courtesy of MSU Media Relations

Freshman guard Quinndary Weatherspoon brings the ball upcourt during the Bulldogs’ exhibition against Fort Valley State last Friday. 

Everyone knows Malik Newman, the top recruit, one of the best players in the country, but he was not the only true freshman from Mississippi to stay home and play basketball at Mississippi State. In comes Quinndary (pronounced Quin-dare) Weatherspoon, a 6’4  guard from Canton, Mississippi. He was a four star recruit and ranked No. 78 in the country by scout.com

Quinndary or “Que,” while a great player in his own right, will always be remembered with Malik since the two played together in high school on the same AAU team. Malik, after seeing Weatherspoon in high school and now in college, said  Weatherspoon has adjusted well.

“I’ve been playing with Que for a year or two. I think we are two players that can live up to the hype. Lately, we have been working hard in order for us to live up the hype,” Malik said  on Weatherspoon.  

The most surprising thing heard at MSU media day was from senior point guard I.J. Ready.  

“Malik Newman is Malik Newman but I think Que all-around, being able to rebound, being able to defend, being able to play point guard, being able score, is the most complete freshman,” Ready said. “It just blew my mind because I did not know he could do all that.” 

Ready would go on to clarify  a big part of it is Weatherspoon has the ability to play point guard, shooting guard and small forward. This is something Weatherspoon had to adjust to after playing mostly shooting guard in high school.

“It is good. I will probably have to play the one (point guard) if I’m trying to get to the next level. So I’m going to embrace it,” Weatherspoon said on playing different position. 

Senior guard Craig Sword sees potential as well, but also sees a little of himself in Weatherspoon. 

“He reminds me of myself.He attacks, he can shoot and he is aggressive all the time,” Sword said. 

Sword came in four years ago in close to the same situation: a  four star recruit coming into a program with a brand new coach. The difference this time is where Sword had Rick Ray to build him up, Weatherspoon gets the luxury of having one of the best coaches in the country mentoring him, Ben Howland. 

“Coach Howland is a great coach, I really like him. Knowing what he has done in the past and all the achievements he has gotten, I listen to everything he says and everything he needs me to do, I do,” Weatherspoon  said on Howland.

The most  important thing about anyone is not who they are, or what they plan on doing, it is where they come from. Quinndary went to Velma Jackson high school and was coached by Anthony Carlyle. Carlyle  had a successful career, winning state championships in 2013, 2014 and 2015, the three years that Weatherspoon was there.

“He (Carlyle) and I put in a lot of work my four years of high school. I really appreciate what he has done for me,” Weatherspoon said  on who he most thanked for getting him to the college level.

Que and the rest of the MSU men’s basketball team will play their first game  Friday against Eastern Washington in Humphrey Coliseum.