Starkville hosts Film Festival

Filmmakers small and large are gathering in Starkville as Hollywood Premier Cinemas hosts  the Magnolia Independent Film Festival through Saturday.

Events for Friday include two film screenings from 7 p.m. to 10 p.m. for $10 per person. Saturday’s events include a free workshop from 4:30 p.m. to 5:30 p.m. as well as film screenings from 7 p.m. to 10 p.m. at a cost of $10 per person. 

Awards will be presented after Saturday night’s events. The films will be judged in seven categories including best feature, best short, best foreign, United Way Best Student Film, best documentary and Ron Tibbett Award for Excellence in Film. 

Johnny Weichel, senior broadcasting major, said he entered a short film in MAG’s student category.

“The film is called ‘Current State.’ The story follows the conversation of two high school friends, Ray (Austin Lenox) and Chris (Sam Kealhofer),” he said.  “The topic of conversation shifts slightly after a group of college students, Kaleb (Will Knight), Laura (Becca Hall) and Tayler (Mary Whittle), wander into the coffee shop. Eventually, they are forced to cross paths.”

Austin Lenox, Mississippi State University graduate, said he was introduced to the various aspects of filmmaking while acting for Weichel’s film.

“It was so interesting to see the intricacy of the filmmaking process, even on this smaller level,” he said. “I also loved seeing someone as passionate about his work as Johnny (the director).”

Weichel said he believes events like MAG provide a great opportunity for filmmakers to connect with other filmmakers in their community. 

“For me, this is an opportunity to speak with other directors and editors about the art form,” he said. “That’s something that’s hard to come by, even on a college campus with over 18,000 students.”

As a part of the film festival, Weichel said he encourages students to attend MAG because it is an event orchestrated by locals and student support is appreciated by filmmakers like him.

“Come to the MAG.It’s a great opportunity to support the arts. A lot of people complain about how there’s not a lot to do in Starkville,” he said. “If you want more stuff to do, you’ve gotta support events put on by people in the community.”