Motorists, cyclists should know traffic laws

Traffic sucks. Everyone hates being stuck behind other drivers and waiting for stop lights. For those who commute to campus, leaving just a few minutes later than normal can make the drive to campus feel 10 times longer. It doesn’t help drivers and pedestrians are frequently frustrated with bicycle traffic. In a place like Starkville where bicycle use is increasing, these frustrations are sure to grow in proportion. As a person that uses a bicycle for daily commute to and from campus, I understand all of these frustrations and would like to address a number of concerns raised by bicyclists.

First, where do bicycles belong? Pedestrians on the sidewalks hate when a bicyclist whizzes by them without warning. Drivers are uncomfortable with the perceived uncertainty of a bicyclist’s behavior. The law, though, is clear as to where bicycles belong. The Mississippi Department of Transportation (MDOT) refers to House Bill No. 559 to define the rights of a bicyclist: “every person riding a bicycle upon a highway shall have all the rights and duties applicable to the driver of a vehicle.” 

Because bicycles are given the same privileges and duties as motor vehicles, it is clear bicycles do not belong on any pedestrian sidewalk. Again, as a student who uses his bicycle to commute to campus, I understand the struggle cyclists have while navigating the busy streets on campus and in Starkville. While it is tempting to ride on the sidewalks — especially in the heart of campus — it is lawful and respectful to walk one’s bicycle. However, I don’t believe in hard-and-fast rules that are inflexible to changing situations. I would offer there are times when a cyclist can ride on the sidewalk: when a pathway is clear of pedestrians, for example. 

Second, how can drivers and cyclists coexist peacefully? The answer is far from simple, but it begins with mutual respect. MDOT cites bicycle legislature passed by the state Senate as “John Paul Frerer Bicycle Safety Act.” One section of the act states “it is unlawful to harass, taunt or maliciously throw an object at or in the direction of any person riding a bicycle.” Drivers should acknowledge the fact that a cyclist on the road has every right to be there by law. The act also states “while passing a bicyclist on a roadway, a motorist shall leave a safe distance of not less than three (3) feet between his vehicle and the bicyclist and shall maintain such clearance until safely past the bicycle.” The need for understanding traffic laws increases as motorists are more aware of cyclists on the road.

While motorists’ increased respect for cyclists will aid those who travel by bicycle, there are also actions a cyclist can take to help motorists. Those riding bicycles should be respectful of motor vehicles; they are a lot heavier and will cause a lot of damage in an accident. Thus, a certain level of fear is appropriate. Cyclists can also wear reflective gear to increase visibility at day or night, and they are actually required by law to have lights mounted on the bicycle as a part of HB 559: bicycles must have a white lamp affixed to the front of the bicycle and a red lamp attached to the rear so a bicycle is visible from at least 500 feet away.

Third, how can the city of Starkville and Mississippi State University help create a safe place for bicycle traffic? There are over a dozen ways to improve the city’s existing bike lanes to help make them safer. I believe the most cost-efficient and effective protection is switching bike lanes and parked cars. Presently, motor vehicle traffic rides along the bike lanes while parked cars are on the outside of the road. If parked cars buffered the bike lanes, there would be an additional 11 feet between motor traffic and bicycle traffic. This solution emphasizes the protection of cyclists and is also easy to implement; one difficulty, however, is that intersections involving bike lanes and motor traffic may become more dangerous since drivers may not be able to see cyclists behind parked vehicles. More expensive solutions include various barriers or creating raised bike lanes, which would both increase protection of cyclists while maintaining visibility for motorists.

Whatever the cost, it is apparent that bicycle safety involves everyone. Bicyclists must be aware of pedestrians and motorists. Drivers should respect cyclists have a place on our city’s roads. The city and the university can step up to meet the needs of their citizens and students by improving and expanding bike paths. It all begins with respect.