MSU continues win streak

Jacob Follin

The Mississippi State baseball team was  recently named the Most Valuable Program by the National Alliance of College Summer Baseball.

On Tuesday, the No. 13 Mississippi State University baseball team advanced to 9-0. Jesse McCord picked up his first collegiate win as a Bulldog. McCord finished with six strikeouts, and allowed three earned hits and two earned runs. McCord pitched throughout the game until he was lifted in the sixth inning. 
“I just need to get in my rhythm and throw strikes,” McCord said, “I still have got to get better.” McCord now has a winning record of 1-0.”
SEC Freshman of the Week, Ryan Gridley helped lead the Bulldogs to victory once again. Gridley recorded MSU’s second four-hit game of the season. He became the first Bulldog freshman to notch four hits in a game since Gavin Collins went 4-for-5 against Kentucky in the SEC Tournament last season; he also was the first Bulldog to be awarded the weekly award since 2012. 
“It was a big deal to me to receive that, but now it is over,” Gridley said, “We need to move on to the next day.” 
Gridley also had two RBIs and increased his batting average to .591. 
“He makes things really simple,” Head Coach Cohen said, “I’ve been doing this 24 years, and I’m not sure I have ever seen a freshman come in and work as hard as he has.”
The Bulldogs finished with 14 hits. Jacob Robinson has now had five multi-hit games, and Seth Heck joins Gridley with four.
The Bulldogs enter into this weekend remembering their routines. The team has their pre-game routine, and each individual player has their own routine they stick to. The Bulldogs will focus on one game at a time over their four-game weekend. The Bulldogs will take on Arizona Friday at 6:30 p.m. then again at 2 p.m. on Saturday. The team will also play Samford at 6:30 p.m. Saturday and again at 4:30 p.m. on Sunday.