MSU presents Japanese Tea Ceremony

The Japan Outreach Program will host six Japanese Tea Ceremonies this spring. The first event will be held in the Lloyd-Ricks-Watson building, room 115 from 1 p.m. until 4 p.m. today. It is free and open to the public, and everyone is encouraged to attend. Other dates for the workshops are March 4 and 17 and April 1, 14 and 29. 

During this workshop, students  will learn Japanese manners and how to make a bowl of Japanese green tea. After taking the full series, participants will receive a beginner-level tea ceremony certificate. It is a great opportunity for both students and faculty to get a taste of the Japanese culture, while getting to enjoy delicious tea in the process.

Chieko Iwata, Japan outreach coordinator and the host of the event, said she hopes for participants to learn and experience the essence of the tea ceremony just as she has. 

“I would say this is one of the Japanese cultural courses rather than just events. I hope we will provide more courses in the near future like Japanese business manners, etc,” she said. “I will demonstrate the tea ceremony, and the participants will also learn how to serve a bowl of green tea as well as how to drink it. It will be zen practice between me and participants throughout the course.”

Iwata said she hopes after the ceremony people will be more interested in the different cultures and actually enjoy discussing them and feeling as though they are a part of them. She said each culture is different, and it would be special if the Japan Outreach Program were allowed to give others a view as to what they enjoy the most. 

“The Japanese Tea Ceremony is based on the spirit of ‘zen’ and focus on pursuing the Japanese ‘wabi’ aesthetic, a simple and calm state of mind which is a conversation with your inner self,” she said.

Sophomore biology major Ashley Hollins said she will attend the event with a few of her friends.  She said she thinks it will be attention grabbing and worth attending.

“I think the event will be interesting, and I look forward to attending. I’ve never given much thought to learning about other cultures, but I’m sure my friends and I will enjoy ourselves,” she said. “Even though it’s nothing major, I look forward to adding this to my list of accomplishments.” 

For more information regarding this event you can contact Chieko Iwata at [email protected] or 662-325-0918.