MSU earns spot on ‘Honor roll’ for community efforts

Mississippi State University has received national recognition for its community involvement and service learning on the President’s Higher Education Community Service Honor Roll. 
  The President’s Higher Education Community Service Honor Roll was launched in 2006 by the Corporation for National Community Service. Since 2009, MSU has been included on the honor roll five consecutive times, and this year, it was added to the General Community Service Honor Roll with Distinction designation for the second time. 
According to the National service website, the honor roll “With Distinction” recognition will be given to those applicants that display strong levels of institutional commitment, provide a compelling case for partnerships that produce measurable impact in the community and have a federal work-study community service percentage of 15 percent or above. 
The award was given to the university for the community service of the 2013-2014 school year. There are also three other categories that  can be awarded general community service, economic opportunity, education and interfaith community service. 
Meggan Franks, assistant director in the Office of Student Leadership and Community Engagement said she thinks this award is a great thing.
“I think it’s wonderful that MSU has received this award. Our students, faculty, staff and our community partners worked hard for it,” Franks said.
 “Over 6,000 students, faculty, and staff participate in community service activities every school year,” she said. “It shows that the MSU community is engaged in long term efforts of making our community, our state, and our world a better place for others.”
Other ways that students can get involved are to visit the Maroon Volunteer Center located in Moseley Hall on the fourth floor. There are opportunities year round to contribute to the community service efforts.