Humans of NY raises funds for inspiring school

Humans of New York has captivated millions of followers through popular social media formats Facebook and Instagram. This photo blog is well-known for its images bringing stories to the lives of ordinary citizens of the Big Apple. Since Jan. 22, HONY has used its social media power to fit a new purpose. The blog started raising funds on crowdsourcing site Indiegogo: its $100,000 goal was met within a day and has since resulted in over $1 million donated to fulfill the needs of students at Mott Hall Bridges Academy, which is a public middle school in the Brooklyn, New York neighborhood of Brownsville.  

The adage “a picture is worth a thousand words” does not do this project enough justice. Brandon Stanton, the man behind the creative HONY, shines a light on a young 13-year-old boy named Vidal Chastanet and his school principal Nadia Lopez. These recent photos have gone viral.  According to the school’s website, the academy has only been open since 2010 and started with only four teachers and 45 sixth grade students. Now, the school is opening its doors to about 200 students.  Also listed on the school’s website is its focus of establishing a STEAM (Science, Technology, Engineering, Arts and Math) environment that prepares scholars to not only become independent, critical thinkers, but also equips them for the challenges of the 21st century. This challenge serves to point strangers across the world to make donations and spread awareness to enable the school to take its young scholars on trips to an institution of higher learning each year: Harvard University. 

The photo that inspired this recent project begins with Chastanet who is pictured wearing a black hoodie covering up part of his face. Stanton asks him one of his famous interview questions. 

“Who’s influenced you the most in your life?” 

Chastanet responded, “My principal, Ms. Lopez.”  

When Stanton followed up by asking how she left an influence on him, Chastanet said, “When we get in trouble, she doesn’t suspend us. She calls us to her office and explains to us how society was built down around us. And she tells us that each time somebody fails out of school, a new jail cell gets built. And one time she made every student stand up, one at a time, and she told each one of us that we matter.”  

The school’s motto, “Connected to Succeed,” resonates the message behind this fundraising project. Chastanet’s story includes the challenges of being surrounded by crime; to realize the value of learning is still special.  

I don’t believe reducing crime will stop poverty completely, but I do believe it will leave a positive footprint on people’s lives. Not enough people seem to care at times, but it only takes one to try and make a difference. I believe we often neglect our educational system and the problems with poverty in this country, which results in a negative mindset for many that tells them they cannot achieve certain things or reach certain milestones in their lives. This project, to me, has shown the opposite side to that argument and that with enough resources put into bad situations, there can be a light at the end of the tunnel and something for young minds to look forward to one day.

New York City is one of the most diverse cities in the world, bringing people from different walks of life together in one place; there are numerous unheard voices waiting to be heard. I look forward to what lies ahead for HONY and the students of Mott Hall Bridges Academy.

All funds raised over $700,000 will be placed into a new scholarship fund for the graduates of Mott Hall Bridges Academy. The fund will be called the Vidal Scholarship, and its first recipient will be Vidal Chastanet. This fundraiser will close on Feb. 10; even if it’s not a lot, a $5 donation shows support to this amazing school and its visionary leader.