Dogs fall to Hogs

Travis+Daniels
Jacob Follin
Travis Daniels

Following a tough loss to in-state rival Ole Miss on Thursday, the Bulldogs dropped another close game Saturday at the Hump to No. 18 Arkansas 65-61. The Bulldogs faced a nationally-ranked Arkansas Razorback team currently second place in the SEC with a 22-5 overall record. 
Despite the first half efforts by the Bulldogs, who led 32-33 at the half and shot 44.8 percent from the field, the Razorbacks still found a way to win with late runs in the second half.
Head Coach Rick Ray expressed his frustration about his team’s inability to take care of the basketball. The Bulldogs had 23 turnovers, which in the long run cost them the game.
“Our inability to take care of the basketball is really killing us,” Ray said.
The Razorbacks scored a total of 23 points off turnovers in this game, while the Bulldogs only scored 16 from Arkansas’ 14 turnovers.
The Bulldogs’ hot shooter and leading scorer for the game, junior Craig Sword, played well this game without sophomore I.J. Ready, who was out with a foot injury. 
“We have learn how to close out games and stop turning the ball over,” Sword said. 
The Bulldogs went on a six-minute scoring drought in the second half where they did not manage to score a single basket.
“We couldn’t get a good look at the rim,” Sword said.
The Razorback’s defense smothered the Bulldogs all night with a full court press the entire game.
 Junior Travis Daniels also expressed his frustration with his team’s inability to close out tough games.
“People are going try to give us their all. We just have to stay the course and finish the game,” Daniels said.
While the Bulldogs dropped to 12-15 overall and 5-9 in SEC play, MSU also fell to 8-10 in games  decided by 10 points or fewer. 
The Bulldogs return to the court Wednesday against No. 1 Kentucky at 6 p.m. in Humphrey Coliseum. This year’s blackout game against the Wildcats will be broadcast on SEC Network.