‘Dog Jog’ to raise funds for animals

Dog+Jog
Courtesy Photo | Humane Society
Dog Jog

​The Oktibbeha County Humane Society will host its second annual Dog Jog fundraiser at the North Farm at 9 a.m. on April 25.
​Kate Thompson, president of the student chapter and member on the Humane Society board, said this kind of race is unusual.
“The Dog Jog is an irregular charity run to raise money for the Humane Society and the Grassroots Animal Rescue. Last year’s event only consisted of a one-mile fun run with about 200 people participating, but we still raised about $2,000 so we’re hoping to beat that this year,” Thompson said.
Race participants are encouraged to bring their own dogs to run with however, dogs will be on site if a participant would like to rent a dog for $10 for the duration of the race. Leashes will also be provided for participants planning to rent a dog.
Thompson said water, toys and treats will be provided for all dogs in participation. 
​Layne Moritz, who is helping plan the event, said changes have been made to this year’s race. 
​“This year, we wanted to attract even more people by adding the 5K because to a lot of people who are serious runners, a mile just really isn’t much for them, and so a 5K is a typical race,” Moritz said. “We thought that would attract more people, and having more people opens up more opportunities for the dogs to be adopted and to get played with.”
 ​Although the main goal of the event is to raise money for the Humane Society and Grassroots shelter, it is also a great way for people to meet and interact with adoptable dogs in an environment outside of the shelters.  
​Participants can register online for $18 and will receive a Dog Jog T-shirt and a treat bag. All participants that register before April 11 will be guaranteed a T-shirt.  On site registration will also be available the morning of the race and will cost $20. To register for the event, visit racesonline.com/events/dogjog2015.
Editor’s note: The original article stated the ‘Dog Jog’ event was to be held on April 11. The event will be held on April 25. The Reflector regrets this error.