MSU raises suicide prevention awareness

On April 21, the Work Life Balance Committee at Mississippi State University will partner with the Staff Council and Mississippi Coalition of Partners in Prevention for a QPR suicide prevention workshop. QPR stands for question, persuade and refer.

There will be two sessions available to attend. One of the sessions will be held from 10 a.m. to noon and the other from 3-5 p.m. This event will take place in the Longest Student Health Center, room 350.

The idea behind the event is by learning these three steps, one could help save someone from making a terrible decision. Those who are already trained in these areas are able to recognize the signs of a person who may be considering suicide. By attending this event, one could learn to be vigilant for warning signs.

Juleigh Baker, a health and wellness educator for University Health Services, said she is really looking forward to seeing how the event will impact students and faculty at MSU.

“This is a training event that a couple of our staff members have had special training to host. In the past, mental health issues have often held a negative stigma among the general public, but over the past few years that has changed to more positive views which truly helps all,” Baker said. 

Baker said the training is designed to give the average person skills to recognize someone who might be having suicidal thoughts, the questions to ask the person, the skill to try to persuade them to speak to a professional and the proper places to refer them.

Baker stressed the importance of the information which will be given at the event because one may often be oblivious to what a peer is going through.

Allyra Williams, sophomore political science major, said she will register for the event because she has the ability to make a difference in someone’s life.

“I don’t think I have ever come in contact with a person who was thinking about taking their own life, but you never know,” she said. “I will be attending the event because I know different people go through different things, and it would make me happy knowing I’m the reason someone is still here and alive.”

It is not required for those in attendance to have prior training. To register for this event, visit www.hrm.msstate.edu/development/upcoming. For additional information, visit the Staff Council website at www.staffcouncil.msstate.edu/events or contact Juleigh Baker at (662)325-2141.