Consuming Fire condemns themselves at MSU

Consuming Fire Fellowship Church arrived to much dismay among the Mississippi State University student body on April 7th. Their reception was not pretty around campus. For the past two semesters, Consuming Fire Fellowship has brought stories of fire and brimstone to our campus body, their message being that groups like the Baptist Student Union (BSU), Wesley and Freethinkers, Agnostics and Atheists at MSU (FAAMSU) will lead all of us to hell. Their message contains ideas that women can’t be preachers, and these groups do not teach the Bible in a truthful manner. However, when questioned on their knowledge of the Bible, they appear to pick and choose as well. The community reaction was sending a message just as strong as Consuming Fire. Homosexuals, Atheists, Christians and other people of spiritual belief seemed to all share the emotion of anger when they surrounded one member of the congregation. Thankfully, the MSU police presence presented an atmosphere that violence would not be tolerated, and any person on the drill field has to be respected under the First Amendment of the United States Constitution. With violence not being the answer, the student body took the same resources available to the Consuming Fire Church as well. Students shouted to send a message throughout campus. Students even used social media to project their disagreement. Local social media became littered with “no true Scotsman” fallacies. A statement made on YikYak had over 50 positive votes, stating, “These people out there are not real Christians, don’t let them turn you away from Christ.” Merriam-Webster defines a Christian as a person who has accepted the teachings of Jesus Christ. So, if these people do accept the teachings of Jesus Christ, does that make them Christian? One quote from a popular social media application had a particular statement that resonated with me. It read, “I think it’s safe to say most people on here disagree with the people on the Drill Field. So ignore them. They have to come to that realization on their own.” I did not make that statement, but I do agree with the logic. Protesting only gives Consuming Fire strength. One group, F.A.A.M.S.U approaches the situation differently. Every semester, they have an Ask-An-Atheist Day. This semester, they are hosting anyone who wishes to discuss anything about atheism April 16 on the Drill Field. Resources from the Secular Student Alliance helps F.A.A.M.S.U. promote  ideas of positive atheism and dismiss general misconceptions about atheists and atheism. Another outlet of positive discussion on campus is the Interfaith Council. Every semester it holds events with people of Faith and non-Faith in the community. Events such as “Coffee with a Muslim” and “Coffee with a Christian” promote a learning experience in a safe and positive environment.  The lesson to be expected here on campus is that MSU is a place to exchange ideas with co-operation. Diversity on campus helps drive an atmosphere that leads to creative ideas that benefit all of society. Even the Consuming Fire Fellowship street preaching was a positive experience for our university. We all learned that together we are humans, learning at the same institution, and we are also not all the same.