New cafeteria construction continues

The construction fence surrounding Mississippi State University’s soon-tobe Aramark Fresh Food Company cafeteria now presses against the edge of Bully Boulevard as construction progresses.
Bill Broyles, interim vice president of student affairs at MSU, said construction of the new cafeteria is progressing at a good pace.
“Construction on the new Fresh Food Company is going well and is on schedule for completion this summer,” Broyles said
Broyles said several other renovations are scheduled to begin in the summer as well, including adding a convenience store in Allen Hall on MSU’s campus, as well as remodeling the Perry Cafeteria.
“We also have a number of construction projects about to kick off that will be occurring during the summer for completion by the beginning of school this fall,” Broyles said. “We will be renovating Einstein’s Bagels in Mitchell Memorial Library and also Starbucks in the Union during the summer.  We will be expanding Chick-fil-A in the Union, taking in the space where Toss-it-up is now.  This will provide more points of service for Chick-fil-A.”  
Broyles also said the State Fountain Bakery will take place of Zoca in the Union, and Moe’s Southwest Grill will move into the bakery’s current location.
There will also be a new POD Express convenience store in Allen Hall.
 “We will also renovate Perry Cafeteria with all new seating and counters,” Broyles said.

The fence in front of the site was moved in order to add a sidewalk and shuttle stop, Broyles said.
The new cafeteria will open later in the summer. The Perry will close briefly for remodeling.
“The Fresh Food Company will open in July.  This will allow us to close Perry for renovations.  Perry will reopen on first day of fall semester classes,” Broyles said.
Tim Muzzi, university architect and interim director of planning design and construction administration at MSU, said his team has been making good time with the progress on the cafeteria.
“The progress of the work is proceeding on schedule. We do not expect any delays in the project,” Muzzi said.
Muzzi said the new cafeteria is being built to accommodate the increasing number of students enrolling at MSU.
“The facility is being constructed to handle the increase in our student population,” Muzzi said. Meal plans have rapidly grown, and the new cafeteria will give students more food choices.
“Our meal plan membership has grown to nearly 7,000,” Jason Nall, resident district manager for Aramark, said. “The Fresh Food Company will provide fresh cutting-edge block meal dining options for meal plan holders.”
Nall said the new cafeteria will also offer longer dining hours.
“The Fresh Food Company will also extend residential dining hours of operation to students,” Nall said.
Sara McMahan, junior biological engineering, said she believes it is a great idea to build the new cafeteria so popular dining facilities on campus such as the Perry and the Union can be less crowded, especially during the lunch rush.
“I think it is impressive that they have been able to build it so fast, and I really feel like the new cafeteria will solve the overcrowding problem in the Perry and the Union, especially during lunch time,” McMahan said.
The Fresh Food Company will open July 2015 and will begin operation in the fall of 2015.