Campus welcomes new speech and debate team

A speech and debate team is on the horizon at Mississippi State University.  Approximately 25 students were present at the interest meeting held Thursday in McComas Hall.

Cheryl Chambers, instructor of communication at MSU, is working with Director of Title IX and EEO Programs Brett Harvey and his wife, Sonya, to get the speech and debate team up and running. 

Chambers and Harvey hosted the meeting Thursday. Both were on the speech and debate team at their own high schools. Chambers was very excited to introduce the possibility of a team at MSU.

“We had a debate team back in the 70s, but we’ve never had a speech team,” Chambers said. “So this is a first for Mississippi State University.”

Harvey and his wife previously coached the Madison Central High School speech and debate team. Harvey was also happy with the turnout at the meeting and said he encouraged the students to be enthusiastic and aspire to grow.  

“As far as what this program can be, I would tell you to dream big,” Harvey said to the students attending the meeting, “but realize that it has to start with baby steps.”

The team hopes to aid the students in whatever path they choose. Chambers has more experience in speech, and Harvey and Sonya are more practiced on the debate side. Most of the tournaments they expect the teams to attend will be held during the fall semester.

Chambers and Harvey concluded at the meeting that the first order of business would be to get more people involved and to start practicing. Chambers said she wanted the students to know everyone is welcome.

“The main thing we want to say at this point is that we are growing and we’re open to different directions,” Chambers said. “It’s not limited to communication. It’s not limited to having any speech experience.”

While there were some students with no prior experience present at the meeting, many of the students present were on their high schools’ speech and debate teams. 

Jeronn Parker, senior biological sciences major, said he was on a team in high school that went to state three times, and he was very eager to learn about this rising team.

“I’m really excited that this is happening. I did speech and debate all throughout high school and for it to finally come to campus here at Mississippi State is going to be great,” Parker said. “I can’t wait to show the world what we are made of.”

Chambers and Harvey are planning to hold their next meeting on April 9. The time and place will be announced closer to the meeting date. 

“We’re starting with a great initial group from scratch,” Harvey said. “I’m really impressed by the talent I saw here tonight, and I think we have a chance to build a really great college speech and debate program in a really short time.”

For more information about the club or the next meeting, contact Cheryl Chambers at [email protected].