WE Lead conference to provide women with tools for success

Mississippi State University will hold its second annual Women Empowered Leadership Conference this summer in the Shackouls Honors College and Griffis Residence Hall. The conference is set for July 20-24. The conference, geared toward Mississippi high school sophomore and junior girls, aims to teach young women tools needed to prepare for the future.
Roxie Raven, co-director of the conference, said the conference is valuable because it encourages young women to believe in themselves.
“This conference is important to me because I feel that too many young women, especially in the South, are discouraged from dreaming big. I find that unacceptable,” Raven said. “My favorite part of this conference is empowering these girls to reach higher and being able to see the confidence grow within them. I hope this conference gives the girls the ability to become leaders and agents of change within their home communities.”
Applications are due on April 3. The program costs $250, but there are a limited number of scholarships. The cost covers housing, food, transportation, activity costs and a T-shirt.
Bianca Eche, junior political science major and self-proclaimed feminist, said the earlier society teaches girls to appreciate themselves, the better.
“Self-conscious girls turn into self-conscious women. From a young age, girls are taught to look pretty, to act pretty, to be pretty,” Eche said. “Honestly, I know we can offer more to the world than just a pretty face.”
“I applaud conferences that teach women to embrace the powerful force inside them,” Eche said. “You know what’s more important than confidence? Nothing. Teach a girl to believe she can do anything, and she surely will.”
WE Lead highlights the importance of leadership, networking and education. There will be several accomplished speakers from various fields including education, medicine, engineering, history, politics and business. 
Jamie Aron, WE Lead co-director, said she is proud to be part of an organization that plays such a key role in young adults’ development.
“WE Lead allows us to impact young women during a crucial moment of transition from adolescents into adults,” Aron said. “My favorite part of the conference is the last day when we give out superlative awards. Everyone receives an award geared toward their accomplishments and what they hope to do in their futures. It’s when I get to brag most on each individual WE Lead fellow. There is a dearth in female leadership in this country, namely in politics and in business. WE Lead gives them the tools to lead ethically, confidently and effectively in any situation. I am confident that WE Lead is creating a sustainable impact in our region.”