MSU hosts Ragtime & Jazz Fest

The Mitchell Memorial Library began its ninth annual Charles H. Templeton Ragtime & Jazz Festival Thursday in the Templeton Museum.

The Charles H. Templeton Museum showcases a collection of musical instruments, recordings and sheet music that has been combined over four decades and was donated to MSU in 1987.

The jazz festival, which continues until Saturday, contains sounds of stride, boogie, blues, novelty, swing, New Orleans jazz, some gershwin and also ragtime.

Taylor Shelton, sophomore kinesiology major, said she tries to engage in as many exciting events as possible.

“I love how MSU is based on tradition. This was the ninth annual event, so it must have been pretty successful in the past,” she said.

Jamia Brown, sophomore human sciences major, said she was confused about what the event was at first.

“I had been seeing the signs for the event all around. I read reviews and heard selections from the 2014 festival, and I was impressed,” she said.

For more information about the museum, contact Stephen Cunetto at (662) 325-8542 or [email protected].