Bulldogs lose weekend series to Auburn Tigers

Vance+Tatum
Jacob Follin
Vance Tatum

For the third straight weekend, the Mississippi State University Bulldogs lost another SEC series, which ended on a positive note on Sunday with a win against Auburn.
The Bulldogs struggled offensively the first two games of the series. The Bulldogs were only able to collect five hits on Friday and were shutout for the second game in a row. Saturday their struggles continued, as the Bulldogs were shutout once again and only managed to collect a total of four hits.
“We are doing good things defensively and on the mound, just not matching those good things offensively with the bats,” Cohen said.
Preston Brown started game one of the series and managed to pitch a complete game. He recorded seven strikeouts and only walked two batters.
Auburn’s offense started off in the second inning with a hit and run by Melvin Gray. He moved the first runner in scoring position, and he later scored from an RBI single by Cody Nulph. Nulph was hitting .077 in SEC play when he recorded the RBI hit on Brown.
“I thought Preston put us in a great position to win the ballgame, and we didn’t support him offensively or defensively,” Cohen said.
The Bulldogs had two errors in game one, both of them recorded by junior infielder Matt Spruill resulting in one extra run. 
On Saturday the Bulldogs were also shutout once again for the third game in the row.
“Nobody in America is working harder than our kids, and I think it’s biting us in the foot,” Cohen said
Cohen stressed his frustration with his struggling Bulldogs on the second loss this weekend. Austin Sexton was on the mound, and the only offense by the Bulldogs came from Jake Vickerson and John Holland, who both recorded doubles in the game.
The Bulldogs finished the weekend series with a win on Sunday, stopping their three game losing streak and ending the weekend on a high note.
Holland had a tremendous game, recording three hits, an RBI and hitting a home run.
Wes Rea also had a good game going 2-for-4 with his first career triple.
“Thank goodness John played the way he played today. He is beginning to show us what we know he can do and coming out to be a great all-around player,” Cohen said.
Vance Tatum was able to pick up the win for the Bulldogs going 4.2 innings and allowing one run with two strikeouts.
The Bulldogs finished the weekend series with an overall record of 19-11 and a 3-6 record in SEC play
The Bulldogs host the South Carolina Gamecocks this weekend. Game one is scheduled for Thursday at 7 p.m. The Gamecocks are 19-9 this season with five wins in the SEC. South Carolina has one one game on the road this season.