Baseball sweeps weekend

After their third-straight four-game series to open the season, the Bulldogs remain undefeated after a sweep over the University of Arizona and Samford University at Dudy Noble Field. The Diamond Dogs advance to a 13-0 record for the fourth time in school history. Out of the 301 Division I teams, Mississippi State University is one of the four remaining undefeated teams, along with conference opponent Texas A&M.
On Friday, the Bulldogs defeated the Arizona Wildcats 4-2. MSU was behind 1-0 until the third inning when it came back with two runs. The Bulldogs then stretched the lead to 3-1 in the sixth inning; then made it 4-1 in the seventh.
Following the series opener, the Dogs turned around to play a double-header on Saturday. The Dogs held Arizona 6-2 in their second contest of the weekend. After the win, MSU came out on top once again defeating Samford 8-2. MSU scored five runs in the first inning, and there was no looking back.
On Sunday, the Dogs took on Samford for the second time, completing their weekend sweep. Sophomore pitcher Vance “Moonlight” Tatum was outstanding and said he built confidence throughout the game. Tatum was named Co-SEC Pitcher of the Week.
“I had a really good feeling at the beginning of the game,” said Tatum.
Tatum allowed two hits in over eight innings of work. He had a career high of 12 strikeouts, the most of any MSU starter since 2013. Tatum struck out nine of the first 10 batters he faced.
The Bulldogs are now the first team in the country to win 13 games, but Head Coach John Cohen said the squad is focused on daily improvement.
“We aren’t worried about the competition,” Cohen said. “We are worried about ourselves and getting better every day.”
The Bulldogs will take on Arkansas Pine-Bluff Tuesday at 6:30 p.m. at Dudy Noble Field.