Mississippi State set to hire Kevin Barbay as offensive coordinator

Reports surfaced Thursday morning that Mississippi State University is set to hire Kevin Barbay as the next offensive coordinator on the gridiron. Sports Illustrated’s college football reporter and Reflector alumni Ross Dellenger first surfaced the reports. 
Barbay spent the past two seasons at Appalachian State and Eastern Michigan, where he called some of the best offenses in the country as far as numbers are concerned. 
Last season, his App State Mountaineers captivated the hearts of many across the college football landscape with a few miraculous wins that led to the program garnering national recognition in the top 25 polls. 
Barbay is part of the Jim McElwain coaching tree and is known for his balanced offensive schemes. Last season, the Mountaineers ranked 23rd in scoring offense, 21st in rushing offense and 48th in passing yards per game. 
It was reported earlier this offseason that MSU was targeting Arkansas’ Ken Briles for the job, which showed that a balanced scheme appeared to be the direction the new coaching staff wanted to head towards. 

Tanner Marlar
Tanner Marlar, Former Managing Editor
Tanner Marlar served as the Managing Editor from 2022 to 2023. He also served as the Sports Editor from 2021 to 2022.