MSU volleyball sweeps Alabama for a home victory

Noah McCord | The Reflector
Volleyball vs. Alabama

Mississippi State University’s volleyball team was back at home Sunday to compete with the University of Alabama.
Many fans came to Newell Grissom Building to show support for their fellow Bulldogs as they took on the Crimson Tide.
Head coach Julia Darty Dennis said that she enjoys the love that the MSU family shows toward the team.
“Our fans and our family are the best in the country, and I cannot thank them enough for creating this atmosphere,” Dennis said. “It is electric as ever and gives us this edge when we play at home. It’s such a special place to play, and it means so much when we’re at home.”
The Bulldogs swept the Crimson Tide and had 40 kills to Alabama’s 32. Sophomore Sophie Agee and Senior Karli Schmidt stole the show with a whopping 10 kills. In addition to Agee’s 10 kills, she also secured a total of 12 digs. Lauren Myrick also put damper on Alabama’s parade by having 16 digs and seven assists.
Graduate student Alexa Fortin Goede totaled 15 assists. On top of that, Mississippi State had a hitting percentage of .243 while Alabama had a hit percentage of .145.
Dennis also shared her opinions on the team’s hard work and hustle during the game.
“I think we knew going in it was going to be a serve and pass battle. Our outsides took a lot of swings, and I thought they did a good job managing risks, being aggressive and smart, and finding ways to score,” Dennis said. “I am really proud of our outsides for carrying us offensively.”
This win bumped up Mississippi State’s record to 8-4 overall and 1-1 in the SEC.
MSU will go on to play the University of Tennessee this Friday at 5 p.m. in hopes of building up its win streak.