Olivia Rodrigo spills ‘GUTS’ with latest album

Guts
Courtesy Photo | Geffen Records
Guts

As summer comes to a close, the phenomenon known as “breakup season” is also reaching its end. To give those with freshly broken hearts something to take their anger out with, three-time Grammy winner Olivia Rodrigo released her new album “GUTS” on Sept. 8.

With her latest album freshly out of its plastic wrap and into the headphones of music lovers, these songs soar to new heights with powerful vocals and lyrics to send shivers down her listener’s spines.  

I have been smitten with Rodrigo’s passion and talent for music ever since her debut album “Sour.” As musically talented as she has showcased herself to be, I have taken it upon myself to do an honest review of her newest hard hitters. 

Rodrigo’s single, “vampire,” sets the stage for “GUTS.” The first taste of this new passion project couples somber piano with pained vocals. The bridge of this song contains the iconic line: “You can’t love anyone ’cause that would mean you had a heart.” This jaw-dropping lyric sets the tones of mistrust and disdain that are expressed throughout the rest of album.

The second single, “bad idea right?” opens with a funky beat reminiscent of early 2000s alternative band Beck. Complete with slamming drums and the rhythmic strums of an electric guitar, this song takes a complete turn from “vampire.” With its witty lyricism and fun instrumental, it is definitely a solid rock-esque song to please the pickier crowd.  

The album’s opening track is titled “all-american bitch.” In this song, Rodrigo covers herself with a shroud of false positivity and fabricated compliments to prove to herself she is better than her ex-lover’s new girlfriend. The song ends with tasteful electric guitar and screaming, showing listeners what lies under the façade. This is definitely one of my favorites on this album due to its instrumental and lyrical prowess.

Track number four is “lacy.” Complete with pained vocals and comparisons to all things considered perfect in the world, Rodrigo sees Lacy as the perfect girl. This alludes to Lacy being the new focus of her ex-boyfriend. This song is destined to be up there with the best “longing to be like her” songs on heartbroken playlists.  

Following “lacy,” Rodrigo has a comedown in her former state of positivity and ego. The song “ballad of a homeschooled girl” is my new anthem for feeling like a screw-up. I see how Rodrigo feels like an outsider in every sense of the word. Though I have never experienced a breakup, I can relate to the story being told.  

The song “making the bed” shows the beginning of a theme in the album’s latter half. Rodrigo feels that she should have seen the “signs” in her relationship that alluded to her ex’s toxicity and cruelty. However, listeners begin to uncover a new theme of grooming from her ex, as he always described Rodrigo as “mature” for her age.  

Quickly dipping into “logical,” the themes of grooming, manipulation and seizure of youth come back in lyrics reminiscent of a steady breakdown. The lyricism in this song is one of my favorites, and I think this may be my favorite track on the album following “bad idea right?” 

In “get him back!” it is noticeable that the new era of breakup music can still take inspiration from the greats, such as Taylor Swift in her 2010 album, “Speak Now.” The title and lyricism of this track are some of my favorites from the album. The transitions between love and hatred in the lyricism flow so seamlessly, they perfectly portray Rodrigo’s indecisiveness.  

The song “love is embarrassing” starts with a surprising yet welcome touch of synthesizer as Rodrigo finally realizes that her ex-boyfriend does not want her back, yet she desperately wants to get back with him. I personally love some good synthesizer in a song, especially when it is not a common theme throughout the album. The lyricism in this track is also a huge plus, making this song a top pick for me.

Track 10, “the grudge,” takes a very close third place in terms of lyricism, as this song showcases what it is like to be in an abusive relationship. The line “We both drew blood, but man, those cuts were never equal” is a picture-perfect example of what it is like to be in a toxic situation.  

The second to last track, “pretty isn’t pretty,” follows Rodrigo as she goes through a depression, stating that, though she tries, buys, starves and pushes to feel beautiful again, she feels she will never be good enough. It is a stunning track that spirals into self-hatred to end things off. 

The last track, “teenage dream,” perfectly encapsulates the latter half of the album. Lyrics about objectification, grooming and forced maturity give listeners a glimpse into Rodrigo’s personal life during this horrid relationship. One message that stuck out to me was that Rodrigo was groomed into feeling that being “young but mature” as a teenager was her only redeeming quality. With a crispy sounding ending to give the final taste of her inevitable breakdown, the album ends.  

Overall, I believe that this album will swiftly top the charts as the lyricism, instrumental, tasteful singing and hard-hitting messages were enough to please someone who chooses to indulge in alternative and heavy rock. If it is enough to please me, then I am sure the people with freshly broken hearts will undoubtedly appreciate it.  

Lillian Odom
Lillian Odom, Contributing Writer
Lillian Odom is a junior English major. Lillian is currently a contributing writer for The Reflector.