Bulldogs secure low-scoring victory over Arkansas

Brooks Surber | The Reflector

Senior wide receiver Lideatrick “Tulu” Griffin has secured 494 total receiving yards and three touchdowns for the Bulldogs this season.

The Mississippi State University Bulldogs took down the Arkansas Razorbacks 7-3 Saturday in a low-scoring affair.
It was both an offensive struggle and a defensive heyday for the MSU Bulldogs at Donald W. Reynolds Razorback Stadium in Fayetteville, Arkansas. The Bulldogs held the Razorbacks to just 200 yards while only putting up 205 yards of their own.
The Bulldogs’ defense looked stout in the win. MSU totaled four sacks and had seven tackles for loss, while also forcing two Razorback turnovers.
While the MSU defense had a strong performance, the Bulldogs struggled to find any momentum offensively. With senior quarterback Will Rogers sitting out due to injury, Mississippi State turned to senior quarterback Mike Wright to lead the MSU offense.
MSU’s first drive of the game ended in an interception just two plays in. The Bulldogs were held scoreless the entire first quarter.
The Razorbacks’ only points in the game came off an MSU turnover. The Bulldogs defense held up strong to keep Arkansas out of the endzone, but the Razorbacks were still able to put points on the board via a 24-yard field goal.
MSU’s lone touchdown of the game came on a two-yard pass from Mike Wright to senior running back Jo’Quavious “Woody” Marks to cap off a nine-play, 69-yard drive. The touchdown occurred with 13:03 to play in the second quarter. After that, neither team scored again.
Though no team scored for the remainder of the game, there were some still some big plays made.
The Bulldogs forced a turnover on the first drive of the second half when Arkansas quarterback KJ Jefferson fumbled at the Arkansas 47-yard line. The fumble was recovered by MSU senior linebacker DeShawn Page. The Bulldogs were unable to capitalize off the turnover.
In the fourth quarter, MSU graduate safety Shawn Preston Jr. picked off a pass from KJ Jefferson at the MSU 28-yard line, stifling any momentum for the Arkansas passing game.
The Bulldogs had a chance to add some cushion to their lead late in the fourth quarter, but freshman kicker Kyle Ferrie missed a 29-yard field goal attempt keeping the Bulldog lead at just four points.
After the miss, MSU kept the Hogs out of the endzone despite KJ Jefferson’s Hail Mary throw on the last play from scrimmage.
Although the Bulldogs’ offense floundered, MSU still managed to grab its first SEC win of the season and improve to 4-3 on the year.
After the game, Bulldogs head coach Zach Arnett said that the MSU defense put in a lot of work over the bye week to improve after their poor performance against Western Michigan.
“There ain’t no magic formula,” Arnett said. “You put in the work, and you show up everyday for practice, and you take a critical eye at situations that you failed to perform, and then you go about correcting them.”
Graduate linebacker Nathaniel “Bookie” Watson led the MSU defense with a pair of sacks and two tackles for loss.
Mike Wright finished the game as MSU’s leading rusher, posting 60 yards rushing to go with his 85 passing yards and one touchdown pass. Wright would have also had a rushing touchdown in the fourth quarter but it was averted by an MSU penalty.
Coach Arnett said Wright’s performance was sufficient but that there is still work to be done.
“He managed the game well enough. We’re gonna have to obviously find a way to create some more plays in the pass game, to convert some third downs and keep the ball going down the field because ultimately this game is decided on points,” Arnett said.
Next week, Mississippi State will travel to Auburn in search of a second conference victory. The game will be pivotal for the Bulldogs as they look to get one of the two wins needed to become bowl eligible. Kickoff is scheduled for 2:30 p.m., and the game will be broadcast on the SEC Network.