MSU soccer ties with Tennessee

Ivy Rose Ball | The Reflector
Soccer vs. Tennessee

During a riveting soccer match against the University of Tennessee Volunteers on Friday, Mississippi State University players executed a level of intensity and risk-taking that exemplified their commitment to the team. Despite the Bulldogs best efforts to come out on top, the game ended in a draw.
MSU proved to Tennessee that they meant business this weekend. Although the outcome of the game was 3-3, both teams left their heart and soul on the field. With a total of 23 shots taken, Mississippi State took more risks than the Volunteers. The Bulldogs surpassed Tennessee in shots taken, showing that even if they were unsuccessful, the Bulldogs would try their hardest with every risk on the field.
Junior midfielder Hannah Johnson proved herself within the first 30 minutes of the game, scoring the first goal of the match. Sophomore midfielder Ally Perry also added another goal to the score less than 10 minutes later. However, these goals were not the work of these players alone. MSU executed true teamwork with a plethora of assists added to every shot.
Johnson spoke to the Bulldogs’ hard work and dedication on the field.
“The goals were amazing. Just the whole team’s effort honestly,” Johnson said. “I think we played well. Defensively, I think we should look at some things. Other than that, I think our execution was great.”
Mississippi State surpassed Tennessee by four assists. As the Volunteers had more players than the Bulldogs, the pressure was on for Mississippi State to bring out the energy within their team.
With 903 fans in attendance, MSU had plenty of fans and supporters to show off for, and they did just that. The tie between the two teams proved both teams’ determination and endurance, both refusing to ever back down or give up. Each team played to the best of their ability until the clock hit zero.
There was no letting up on either side. With neither team taking the dominant stance, tension rose and fans were enthralled. Both teams stayed on their toes and although the result left both teams wondering who the true winner was, the Bulldog’s ability to put up an incredible fight gave them a win in the game of ambition.
Mississippi State’s head coach James Armstrong noted the incredible effort that his team put forth but wished the game had ended in a win for the Bulldogs.
“We just need to learn how to close out a game. When you are up three nothing at home and then tie the game 3-3…regardless of who the team is, it is going to leave a bitter taste in your mouth for a little bit,” Armstrong said.
Up next, the Bulldogs will travel to Gainesville, Florida, to take on the University of Florida Gators at 5 p.m. on Thursday. The game will be broadcast on SEC Network.

Kensi Brandenburg
Kensi Brandenburg, Staff Writer
Kensi Brandenburg is a sophomore communication major. Kensi is currently a staff writer for The Reflector.