TrebullDawgs create harmonies on campus

Courtesy Photo | Madison Munn

The TrebullDawgs occasionally perform in the Lecture Hall of the Music Building on the Mississippi State University Campus.

The TrebullDawgs are Mississippi State University’s premiere a cappella group. They are an eclectic group of individuals who major in a wide variety of studies with only 37.5% of the group being music majors.
The TrebullDawgs began in 2016 as a student-run, on-campus organization. Their goal is to bring high quality vocalists together for a unique experience that is not found anywhere else on campus. Their focus is pushing the boundaries for what a cappella music means and setting a new standard for themselves with each performance.
The group sings a wide variety of music from Billy Joel to Dolly Parton to the “Mii Theme” from the Nintendo Wii.
Joining the group does not require any choral background. Madison Munn, a senior majoring in biological science, is enjoying her second year with the TrebullDawgs. Munn did not have any choir experience before joining the group — it was after seeing a post on social media that she knew she had to join.
“Coming into TrebullDawgs was a completely new realm,” Munn said. “I learned about TrebullDawgs from a girl that used to go here, she posted about it, and I didn’t know we had an a cappella group. So, I researched it and auditioned.”
TrebullDawgs’ musical director Adonijah Mpinga, a junior majoring in music education, is entering his second year as music director. His duties as director include deciding what music the group is performing and arranging about 25% of their repertoire. Mpinga also leads rehearsals, teaching the members their music and planning their various concerts and performances.
The members of the group have a clear passion for singing with a group of people. RJ Rutherford, a senior studying chemistry, said he has always been interested in a cappella music, and when he learned how to properly sing, he wanted to join in on the action.
“[I have] always been intrigued by a cappella music since I’ve heard of these other a cappella groups like Pentatonix and The Nor’easters. It’s just interesting to hear voices blend together without the need for any orchestral music or anything like that. Just use your voice itself as an instrument,” Rutherford said.
When the members of the group were asked about their favorite aspect of TrebullDawgs, they collectively gave one response. The consensus agreement was the rehearsals. The members are around other musicians who strive to make the group the best that it can possibly be.
As the members come from a multitude of backgrounds, such as different majors, they can enjoy getting to know one another and discovering what makes each individual unique. When it is time to come together, they step up to the plate to create a vocal composite of 16 individuals — a truly unique experience for those who love music and want to use their voice in a way that is different from most.
The TrebullDawgs are on the heels of performing at the second Mississippi Aca-Fest that took place this past Friday in Poplarville, Mississippi. They are now preparing for their end of the semester Holiday Choral Concert.
The Holiday Choral Concert will showcase the TrebullDawgs and other on-campus choirs such as Schola Cantorum, OPUS, Cantaré and State Singers. The concert will be held Nov. 28 at 7 p.m. at the First Baptist Church in Starkville.
Past performances are available on their Facebook page.
For more information about the group, visit the TrebullDawgs website.