Smith: MSU baseball’s 10 best walk-up songs of 2023

Mississippi State University baseball opens the 2023 season tomorrow at 3 p.m. against Virginia Military Institute at the Dude, and with that comes more incredible hype songs.
From the electric “Still of The Night” for pitcher Landon Sims (gosh, I miss it so much) to “Your Love” for Mayor Mangum, Dudy Noble Field has been home to some memorable music for our historic athletes.
The list of songs for our 2023 Diamond Dawgs has been released and it’s filled with plenty of good choices– our boys have taste– but here are the top 10 in no particular order.
#1: “Kickstart My Heart” by Motley Crue (Pico Kohn)
It’s common knowledge that classic rock/heavy metal music and pitchers make up the greatest duo in the history of the world, but something about this song sends literal chills down my spine. You just know that Kohn is going to go out and dominate, and that’s the kind of confidence fans want from the guy on the mound.
#2: “Should’ve Been A Cowboy” by Toby Keith (Kellum Clark)
We can always expect at least one good ole country tune as a walk-up from a batter, but Clark hit it out of the park with his pick. We don’t get to sing along to “Small Town USA” or “John Deere Green” in the Dude anymore, but this is the perfect crowd sing-along for a clutch batter. I can already hear 15,000 of my favorite people singing along to this just before Clark hits a walk-off homer, following in the footsteps of our great Tanner Allen.
#3: “Hotel Room Service” by Pitbull (Nate Chester)
I don’t feel like this one needs much of an explanation. I couldn’t have picked a better walk-up song if I tried. He nailed it, and the dude will be rocking every time he comes up to bat.
#4: “Sleeping On The Blacktop” by Colter Wall (Max Miller)
If you’re not familiar with Colter Wall, let’s just say I was shocked to see one of his songs on the list, but this is an excellent choice. The slow, deep melody combined with the drums and clapping in the song will leave everyone, including the opposing dugout, feeling like something big is about to happen. Plus, the clapping from the song presents an opportunity for fans to participate, which is the most important aspect of a good walk-up.
#5: “Chattahoochee” by Alan Jackson (Hollis Porter)
This is a top-tier pick for reasons similar to Kellum Clark’s choice. It’s just one of those songs that will make your heart skip a beat when you hear it blaring through The Dude. Just think of how the students in right field will react when they hear this during a game for the first time. It will be quite the sight and I couldn’t be more excited.
#6: “No Place Like Hometown” by HARDY (Luke Hancock)
This song feels like home. Starkville is home for many of the Bulldog family, even if it’s not where they lay their head every night. With most of our national champions onto bigger things, it’s nice to hang on to the few that remain. Having our captain here in Starkville this year and being able to sing this in our hometown with the heart of our team is truly an honor.
#7: “Ain’t No Grave” by Johnny Cash (Aaron Nixon)
I might be a bit biased with this pick, but Johnny Cash is legendary, and choosing one of his songs can never go wrong. Someone could have picked “Hurt” and I still would be satisfied. Plus, Cash has solidified his role in Starkville with his sweet story of public intoxication and the song “Starkville City Jail.” I think this is a very interesting choice for a pitcher due to its slower pace and deep tones Cash is known for.
#8: “Lift Your Head Weary Sinner” by Crowder (Lane Forsythe)
Not many athletes choose worship music for their walk-up songs, but I am always impressed when someone does. I think it shows a lot about the character of the player and makes you want to cheer them on even more. This song also gives a similar feel to Johnny Cash’s “God’s Gonna Cut You Down” which is a great song too. Like Miller’s pick, it will make the fans wait in anticipation for his big moment at the plate.
#9: “Fight For Your Right” by Beastie Boys (Logan Forsythe)
Another perfect song for a pitcher. While it doesn’t have an extremely fast tempo and isn’t heavy metal, coming out of the bullpen and playing this is like looking at your opposition’s dugout and ensuring they know they’re not leaving the Dude easily. With each pitch that Forsythe throws, he’s going to make them work for it. This is exactly the impression our opponents need to gather from the team after last year’s season. The Dawgs are back and ready to put up a fight, so you must be ready as well.
#10: “For Whom The Bell Tolls” by Metallica (Brock Tapper)
Brock Tapper says ‘Hail State’ and, hopefully, ‘Dawgs Win Again’.
Honorable Mentions:
– “Old Time Rock & Roll” by Bob Seger (Aaron Downs)
– “The Show Goes On” by Lupe Fiasco (Will Gibbs)
– “Play That Funky Music” by Wild Cherry (Cole Cheatham)