Three Mississippi State baseball players to watch this season

After a lackluster 2022 season, the Mississippi State University baseball team has a talented mix of returning veterans and newcomers looking to rebound this season.

The Bulldogs’ record last season was a disappointing 26-30 (9-21 in SEC play), giving MSU baseball their first losing record since 2010. It is a new year, however, and 2023 is shaping up to be an intriguing year for the Bulldogs.

At the first MSU baseball presser of the year, MSU head coach Chris Lemonis discussed what he has seen from the 2023 class.

“Well, we’re excited,” Lemonis said at the media day presser. “We’ve brought in a lot of talented guys. Freshmen, JUCO, (and) transfer portal guys. It’s a different world that we’re in now.”

The MSU baseball team features many new faces this season, but the Bulldogs also have talented, seasoned veterans hoping to bring their team back to glory this season.

Graduate Luke Hancock (INF/C)

Filling the cleats of former Bulldogs catcher Logan Tanner will be tough, but it does not get much tougher than “The Hammer”. Last season, Hancock started in all 56 games for the Bulldogs, which is a rare occurrence for a collegiate baseball player. Hancock also recorded a .278 batting average on 60 hits, nine doubles and seven home runs – while also driving in 32 RBIs and he reached base on his last 17 plate appearances.
Hancock has been a solid go-to player for Lemonis and the Bulldogs since arriving on campus as a freshman in 2019. His experience and leadership abilities are the reasons why he will be rocking the captain patch for the Bulldogs this season.
Hancock discussed what sporting the “C” patch meant to him for his last season at MSU.
“It’s a huge honor for me,” Hancock said. “It’s one of the biggest accomplishments of my life. I feel very honored to wear this ‘C’ around here every day. I don’t know how many captains there’s been in Mississippi State history, but I’m glad I’m one of them.”
Last season, Hancock started in all 56 games for the Bulldogs and recorded a .278 batting average on 60 hits, nine doubles and seven home runs. Hancock also drove in 32 RBIs and reached base on his last 17 plate appearances.
Although Hancock played first base for the majority of last season, he is primed to be the starting catcher for the Bulldogs in 2023. With a less-experienced pitching rotation, Hancock will play a huge part for MSU behind the plate.
Freshman Jurrangelo Cijntje (LHP/RHP)
Ambidextrous pitcher Jurrangelo Cijntje is one of the most highly-anticipated freshmen from the class of 2023. His ability to pitch 90 mph with both hands is unusual and intriguing. Cijntje was ranked as the 34th overall player in the country and seventh in the state of Florida. 
Players and coaches alike are impressed with Cijntje’s talent, but one undetermined factor is how MSU will use him moving forward. Coach Lemonis discussed the usage of Cijntje and how it is more difficult to determine than most think.
“Some people think we just throw him left-handed one day and then run him right back out there right-handed and it doesn’t really work that way,” Lemonis said. “It’s special, it’s not a circus act. He’s really good at both and he loves baseball. He’s a really invested kid and he loves to play the game.”
Although Cijntje’s place in the pitching rotation is unknown, all signs are pointing positive for the SEC’s only ambidextrous pitcher.
Sophomore Hunter Hines (INF/OF)
MSU baseball’s most talented newcomer in 2022 was undoubtedly Hunter Hines. Hines was the recipient of many freshman awards in 2022 including SEC Freshman All-SEC, D1 Baseball Freshman All-American and Collegiate Baseball Newspaper Freshman All-American. He started in all 56 games and recorded 13 doubles, one triple and 16 home runs on 63 hits last season.
One of the many memorable games for Hines last season, was against the University of Mississippi in Oxford. Hines hit a clutch homer to put the Bulldogs in front late in game two, which led to a MSU win and tied the series at one a piece.
After that win against the Rebels, former Bulldog outfielder Brad Cumbest walked up to Hines during his postgame interview to give his thoughts on the clutch hit.

“Good swing little buddy,” Cumbest said.

Hines has emerged as a likely candidate to become the starting first baseman for the Bulldogs in 2023. His power and ability to put the ball in play consistently will be a huge key in the cleanup spot for MSU baseball this season.

Dylan Flippo
Dylan Flippo, Former Sports Editor
Dylan Flippo served as the Sports Editor from 2022 to 2023.