Bulldogs can’t keep the Wildcats off the glass

The Mississippi State University men’s basketball team’s five game win streak came to an end on Wednesday as they fell to the University of Kentucky Wildcats 71-68. 
Tolu Smith led all Bulldog scorers with 22 points, while the Wildcats were led by the reigning Naismith Player of the Year, Oscar Tshiebwe, who poured in 18 of his own. 
Tshiebwe, however, managed to snag 11 rebounds to match his scoring output for the double-double. Bulldog forward Cam Matthews was tasked with dealing with the Wildcat big man, and according to him, he had his hands full. 
“He’s got magnets in his hands. I don’t know how he does it,” said Matthews postgame. “I guess it was just the physicality. They were just working really hard on the glass.”
In total, MSU was out-rebounded 38-22, with UK being able to grab an emphatic 18 offensive boards in the affair. Head coach Chris Jans knew where his team got their bread buttered, too. 
“It’s really easy for me or any other coach to talk about rebounding and try to get it on the floor,” said Jans. “They’re (Kentucky) really good at it. We talked and acknowledged that heading into the game, film, etcetera. It’s one of those things that I’ll have to watch the video (on).”
The one silver lining that MSU can take away from the Kentucky matchup is this: the Hump was packed. 
MSU reported their third sellout of the season, proving that this fan base can and will get behind this basketball team once, and hopefully, for all.
Next up for MSU is one that is always circled on the schedule, and Jans said that one thing is for sure – they have to bounce back.
The Bulldogs will take to the road to face off against the University of Mississippi on Saturday. That game will tip off at 2:30 p.m. and will air on the SEC Network. 

Tanner Marlar
Tanner Marlar, Former Managing Editor
Tanner Marlar served as the Managing Editor from 2022 to 2023. He also served as the Sports Editor from 2021 to 2022.