African Night event celebrates African and Caribbean cultures

Courtesy Photo | African Student Association

African Night will take place in Old Main 1030.

This Friday, the African Student Association (ASA) and the Caribbean Student Association (CSA) will host their African Night event from 6 – 8 p.m. in Old Main 1030.
The annual event will celebrate various African cultures through dance performances, a fashion show, spoken word and poetry recitation, authentic cuisine and trivia with a cash prize.
ASA, which was founded as a student organization in 2004, has hosted the event solely since it first began. This year, however, will mark the first time ASA has collaborated with another organization for its big showcase.
Sashi Bryan is a sophomore biochemistry major from Jamaica. Bryan has served as the CSA programming and event coordinator since it was founded as a student organization in February 2023. Bryan shared her gratitude about being able to collaborate with ASA.
“We thought going with ASA would be a good thing for both of us,” Bryan said. “It’s a way, too, to showcase CSA…to other students at Mississippi State because I’m pretty sure not everyone knows there’s a Caribbean Student Association. It is also a way for us to…[get] accustomed to different cultures, collaborating and working with the ASA.”
CSA will mainly collaborate with ASA on the event’s cuisine. They will prepare jerk chicken, curry chicken, Bahamian macaroni and cheese and Jamaican-style rice and peas.
Angella Osinde is a master business administration major and serves as ASA vice president. Osdine shared some of the cuisines her organization would provide.
“We’re planning to prepare…Jollof rice, which stems from West Africa… and just plenty of stews [and] greens,” Osinde said.
Accompanying this cuisine will be an original dance performance by members of the CSA. Bryan said the dance will be a mix of Caribbean and carnival styles of dancing.
“[Carnival dancing] originated in Trinidad and is done in the Bahamas, Jamaica and Trinidad, of course. It’s pretty much like a Soca style of music,” Bryan said. “It keeps everyone going. So, they want to showcase that along with showcasing the different Caribbean dances we have.”
The night’s events will help celebrate the culture of African and Caribbean students. Shabrea Davis, a sophomore architecture major and CSA vice president, said she is most excited about meeting new people and showcasing the new organization to the MSU community.
“We plan to showcase that the Caribbean is not just one country, but a group of countries with different cultures, cuisines, dialects and people,” Davis said. “As a new organization, I think it is important that we spread awareness of our group, our vision and mission.”
Osinde said along with the collaboration, she is most excited about the opportunity to share both cultures with all who attend.
“I think the outreach component and just seeing that effect and growing that presence and awareness of both organizations would be beneficial,” Osinde said. “But overall, I am just hoping for a beautiful event that just goes smoothly.”
The event is free to the public, and food will be available on a first-come, first-serve basis.
Students will also have the opportunity to learn more about the ASA and CSA. Both organizations are open to join through Cowbell Connect and can be followed on Instagram @msu_asa and @msstate_csa.

Trey Barrett
Trey Barrett, Former Life & Entertainment Editor
Trey Barrett served as the Life & Entertainment Editor from 2022 to 2023.