Heather’s Happenings: Talking vinyl variations, new music from Taylor Swift

Courtesy Photo | Lana Del Rey Website

The picture disc for Lana Del Rey’s upcoming album “Did you know that there’s a tunnel under Ocean Blvd?” is one of six vinyl variations.

New music is on the horizon from my favorite singers, and I preordered two upcoming albums on vinyl.
First, Lana Del Rey’s ninth studio album, “Did you know that there’s a tunnel under Ocean Blvd?” is set to release Friday. On Feb. 27, Spotify sent me an email with the subject, “Lana Del Rey Made you something special.”
Intrigued, I opened the email and read that Spotify was offering me a “limited-edition picture disc exclusively for her top fans on Spotify.” It said there are limited records available until March 13. I immediately clicked the link to buy the vinyl and completed my purchase. 
Imagine my disappointment when I later checked Lana Del Rey’s website and saw it also offered the picture disc, along with two other record options in black or white. I thought I was one of just 5,000 fans who could get a picture disc. I guess I am not as special as Spotify alluded I was. I paid $48.06 with tax for the record.
My deflated ego aside, “… Ocean Blvd” is also available in pink, green and magenta variations from Amazon, Urban Outfitters and Target, respectively. Each color variation has different album art. My favorite cover is the main version used on the picture discs and black and white versions. It is so dreamy.
Niall Horan’s third solo album, “The Show,” set for a June release, has four color variations and cover art for vinyl. I preordered both the standard black pressing with the original album artwork and the red, blue and gold variation with an alternate cover. I paid $40.55 for the tri-color record and $41.60 for the black pressing, including taxes.
Urban Outfitters sells the third vinyl option for this album, pressed in white with a silhouette cover, and Target has a light blue disc with a fourth cover option.
Spotify also sent me an email for “The Show,” promoting the three-color record. Once again, I purchased the vinyl using Spotify’s link. This time, though, I could not find another seller offering this “exclusive” version of the album.
Lastly, Taylor Swift dropped four singles Friday night. “Hunger Games” soundtrack songs “Eyes Open (Taylor’s Version)” and “Safe & Sound (Taylor’s Version)” both have album art from “Red (Taylor’s Version),” though Swift released the songs a year-and-a-half after the album’s debut.
Similarly, “If This Was A Movie (Taylor’s Version)” has the cover picture from “Fearless (Taylor’s Version),” despite Swift releasing the album a year prior.
I love hearing Swift’s mature vocals on these three songs that she recorded and released a decade ago on her old record label.
My favorite of the four tracks is “All of the Girls You Loved Before.” The song is an extra from the “Lover” album, and I think it should have made the cut in the 2019 album’s release. Swift goes all out in her vocals, and the lyrics are catchy and effervescent.
I hope Swift will add these songs to a collection or release the singles on vinyl. I need a physical copy of “All of the Girls You Loved Before.”
These four songs contribute to my budding excitement to see Swift live at The Eras Tour in Nashville on May 6. The tour kicked off Friday in Swift City, Arizona, with a 44-song setlist. 
After spending $130.21 and listening to these three artists’ new music for hours on end, I anticipate hearing the vinyl crackling as it spins on my record player and journeys me into another world.
Tune in next week to read Trey’s Takes on March’s movie releases.

Heather Harrison
Heather Harrison, Former Editor-in-Chief
Heather Harrison served as the Editor-in-Chief of The Reflector from 2022 to 2023. She also served as the News Editor from 2021 to 2022.