From State to the NFL Combine: Evaluations, projections for 3 former Bulldogs

Courtesy Photo | Associated Press

MSU cornerback Emmanuel Forbes posted a 4.35 time in the 40-yard dash at the 2023 NFL Combine.

Three former Mississippi State University football players participated in front of representatives from every team around the league at the NFL Scouting Combine this past week in Indianapolis, Indiana.
The NFL Combine is a stage for college athletes to put their raw talent on display in hopes of increasing their draft stock. Cornerback Emmanuel Forbes, edge rusher Tyrus Wheat and defensive lineman Cameron Young were the three former Bulldogs in attendance this week.
Forbes is likely the first of the three to be drafted, and he tested well. He ran a 4.35 40-yard dash, and his time tied for third best at the position in this year’s class. Forbes’ vertical jump was recorded at 37.50” and his broad jump at 10’11”. Forbes is regarded as one of the better corners in the draft, and his ball skills and long arms combine to make him a great man-to-man coverage corner.
In three years at Mississippi State, Forbes recorded a remarkable 14 interceptions, returning six of those for touchdowns. Forbes recorded 20 passes defended and 150 tackles in his three-year collegiate career.
Wheat, who also spent three years at Mississippi State, showed out. Wheat ran a 4.65 40-yard dash and had a 28.5” vertical jump. Wheat is not a player who will stun scouts at the combine. He separates himself with what he can do on tape and his physical style of play.
Wheat had 17.0 sacks, 25.5 tackles for a loss, five passes defended and five fumble recoveries in three years in the maroon and white. Wheat’s knack for always being around the football makes him an intriguing prospect in this year’s NFL Draft.
Young was the third and final Bulldog to participate in the NFL Combine this year. Young ran a 5.10 40-yard dash, which ranked 9th amongst fellow defensive tackles. Similar to Wheat, Young will impress scouts more in pads than in shorts. His combination of size, strength and speed make him a force against the run. In four seasons as a Bulldog, he recorded 110 tackles and five sacks.
All three Bulldogs will have another chance to impress general managers and coaches at Mississippi State’s Pro-Day. Forbes is projected to hear his name called in the early to mid-second round. The 2023 cornerback class has no shortage of talent and whatever team can walk away with Forbes on day two could be getting a steal at the position.
While Forbes’ projection is relatively high, Wheat and Young may not hear their names called until the final day of the NFL Draft. Mississippi State has a good track record of successful defensive tackles and edge rushers at the next level. Wheat and Young could potentially be late-round gems for any NFL team.
The NFL combine is just the first step in reaching the next level. Forbes, Young and Wheat all made huge impacts while they were in Starkville and should have no trouble translating their games to the next level.