Editorial love letter to The Reflector

Editorial+drawing
Luke Copley | The Reflector
Editorial drawing

Our time as an editorial board has come to an end. While we ended the year looking and feeling differently than we started, we have nothing but love looking back on The Reflector’s 138th year, 2022-2023.
Heather Harrison, Editor-in-Chief: I give all the love and credit to The Reflector for cultivating the journalist I am today. From the beginning of my time here in September 2020, I knew I wanted to invest my college years in the paper and spend time writing stories about my new community in Starkville.
I’m so grateful for my time as a staff writer, news editor and editor-in-chief of The Reflector. I wore each title as a badge of honor. I’m really going to miss working with the people who became some of my closest confidants while sitting 10 feet away from each other in a windowless office. Every award, road trip, late night in the office, website improvement, Slack meme thread and staff update was worth it to get where we are today.
I will never forget submitting my staff writer application that one September 2020 day and hoping for the best. I think I can officially say this is “the best” turnout I could’ve dreamed of. I truly put my blood, sweat and tears into The Reflector, and I’m in awe of watching my future unfold as I exit my college years. And it’s all because of that one fall day when I decided I wanted to be a journalist.
I give all my love to The Reflector, and I hope every MSU student can find their home on campus like I found mine at this student newspaper. Try something you have always wanted to do. See what happens. 
Tanner Marlar, Managing Editor: When I started at this paper two years ago, my life was entirely different. I was a kid from nowhere, Mississippi, confused and trying to figure out where I go from here after swapping my major. I found the answer in an antiquated, allegedly dead art form that I had only before indulged in as a hobby. I started writing.
I have always had a passion for sports, and that led me here to The Reflector and its sports section. I had no clue why the Oxford comma was a satanic principle, or especially why the hell we had to write in a style I had never heard of that was all at once similar but different to the linguistic confines that I was familiar with. I just knew that this was fun, and if I could have fun at what I did, I wouldn’t dread it as much as I dreaded attending the various business classes as I had been during the past two years.
Fast forward to now, and I can say, unabashedly and unashamedly, the newspaper and writing have made me who I am today. They have shaped my thinking, beliefs and core values into the truths that I hold dear today. To hell with the “antiquated” narrative — writing has given me everything, and it’s something that I will always hold dear.
There is nothing in this world that could take this gift from me, much less make me want to do anything else, and I owe that gift to here, The Reflector, of all places, so thank you. Thank you for making me who I am. Thank you for giving me the pathway to open the creative portions of my mind that were previously only explored and viewed by my own eyes. Thank you for giving me the best group of people I’ve ever had the pleasure to be associated with. Thank you for teaching me humility. Thank you for teaching me what real leadership can be. Thank you for teaching me when to speak and when to listen. Thank you for everything, Reflector. You’ve been the best decision I’ve ever made in college — and there have been some bad ones. Never change.
Payton Brown, News Editor: My dear ol’ Reflector, I must begin by saying thank you for being my first organization at Mississippi State University. Thank you for giving me the platform to explore my own creative pursuits and for the opportunity to serve as your 2022-2023 news editor. With you, I experienced joy, friendship, laughter, acclamation and plenty of journalistic hardships. However, the chance to uphold this 138-year-old legacy was worth it.
To Josh Foreman, thank you for being the best faculty adviser anyone could have dreamed of. Your dedication to this newspaper is greatly appreciated, and you are legendary. To Trey, Josh, Luke, Heather, Dylan, Tanner, Landon, Sydni and Dontae — thank you for leading and creating with me over the past year. I admire you all more than you could ever know, and I wish you all the best that life has to offer. We have all left a mark in MSU history that will one day sit in the archives of the Mitchell Memorial Library. In the next century, I hope someone stumbles upon one of our issues and wonders why people from the 2020s were so nihilistically absurd. Here’s to all of our hard work, my treasured friends.
Trey Barrett, Life & Entertainment Editor: What started out as a childhood desire to become a published newspaper writer has now become a strong involvement with the oldest and greatest student newspaper in Mississippi. Every second spent with each talented editor and staff member is full of pure joy, laughter and appreciation as we continue to grow with one another. Because of The Reflector, my love for journalism has continued to evolve, and I have continued to appreciate my active role in Starkville’s environment. Even though my tenure with The Reflector has been short, I will never forget the lasting connections and knowledge I have gained from such a wonderful group of college students.
Luke Copley, Opinion Editor: Junior year, I wrote an article about needing more shade on the Drill Field. On Facebook, one person commented something like, “way to destroy history,” like I had already personally removed the walking paths and planted saplings. Another said, “Oh no! Did you get hot walking to class? Boo hoo.” Both of these are funny; both of them made me laugh.
The Reflector offers all the things I hope other people wrote about: community, friendship, personal challenges and a meager but consistent revenue. My thing is much smaller. You, our readers, are a highlight. The hate comments on Facebook, the letters of commendation for bathroom reviews, the passionate letters to the editor about all the things happening on campus. You are very challenging to predict and a joy to try to impress. Thank you for letting us do this. 
Dylan Flippo, Sports Editor: My time as the sports editor at The Reflector has been a dream come true. Ever since I was a little kid, I had always hoped to someday work in the sports industry. The opportunities and doors that have opened from my time as an editor are what I am truly so thankful for, and I can say that I am blessed beyond measure to have met such amazing people.
Although my time as an editor is up, I will forever cherish the memories and the experience that came with this position. I know that my desk, as well as the other wonderful editors, has been given to the right person for the job, and I look forward to seeing the continued growth of The Reflector for years to come.
Landon Scheel, Photography Editor: My time as Photo Editor at The Reflector has pushed my photography to heights I previously thought would be out of reach for me at such a point in my life. Before I took on this job, I knew I had a camera, and I knew I could press a shutter button, but I wasn’t sure of much else. I didn’t know how to use any professional editing software, but The Reflector taught me Lightroom, and it gave me unbelievable opportunities for my portfolio, such as being on the field of Davis Wade, taking pictures of Jak (Bully XXI), being in the photo pit at Bulldog Bash and much more. I can’t begin to describe the growth I’ve seen in the last 12 months, and none of it would have been possible if I didn’t have the courage to take on this position. It scared me in all the right ways.
I’ve been with The Reflector since fall 2020, and the first time I applied, I was rejected. It hurt, but I knew what I was capable of contributing, and I didn’t let that stop me from pushing to be a part of this team. The Reflector has been one of, if not the, primary outlet for improving my photography skills over the last three years, and I could not be more grateful to those who saw potential in me and helped me grow. I owe a special thank you to Adam Sullivan and Mary Georgia Hamilton (Photo Editors of 2021-2022 and 2020-2021, respectively). I would also like to thank my photography team for being dependable and devoting your time and your work to the paper. Lastly, I want to thank the loyal readers of The Reflector, for without your investment into our words and our art, we wouldn’t have a reason to publish every week.
Dontae Ball, Graphics Illustrator: The Reflector is a big house. Within it is a collection of people who are all patient, passionate and motivated to create and inform all. Being a part of this family has allowed me to become part of something bigger than myself, opening doors for more educational and career opportunities. I loved working at The Reflector, and I loved the people I worked with. I cannot wait to see what everyone does next. 
Sydni Vandevender, Marketing Manager: My dearest Reflector, our time together has been too short. You’ve shown me people I likely wouldn’t have found elsewhere on this campus. I am just a marketing manager —  this is my first and last time writing for you, but I’ll try my best. To the team, I have never worked with such a unique and talented group. I genuinely enjoy reading your work, and I constantly talk about it to those around me. I will miss not being able to step foot in the office without someone making me laugh. Thank you for welcoming me and including me from the start. I love you.
Josh Britt, Online Editor: “I’m not f#@&!ing leaving.” (Jordan Belfort, “The Wolf of Wall Street.”)
All: And thank you, dear reader, for letting us provide your news and opinions. We spent the year working to inform and entertain you while upholding The Reflector’s integrity and long-lasting traditions. Thank you. We love you.