MSU women’s basketball steamrolls FAMU ahead of Sun Coast Challenge

The Mississippi State University women’s basketball team rolled past the Florida A&M University Rattlers 72-47 Thursday night at Humphrey Coliseum.
Although the university is out for the holidays, that did not stop the MSU fanbase from coming out to support the team. Many were dressed in Christmas sweaters while they cheered on the Bulldogs to their victory against the Rattlers.
Coach Sam Purcell said he appreciates the amazing fanbase and their holiday spirit.
“It was great to hear the jingles. People were yelling at me before the game, ‘Coach, check out my outfit.’ So, that’s where I tell everybody it’s more than just basketball at times.” Purcell said. “It’s fun that we can play hard and entertain for others but also have a little holiday joy like we did today.”
The Bulldogs were filled with the holiday spirit as well, as they started out hot by scoring 42 points in the first half. FAMU was held to only 16 points in the first half, which is tied for the lowest number of points allowed in the first half this season.
MSU kept the momentum on their side throughout the entire game and held FAMU to just 31% shooting from the field, while the Bulldogs were able to shoot 46% from the field. Nine of the 10 Bulldogs that played in the game scored at least 10 points.
The Bulldogs’ defensive pressure was high against the Rattlers. This was the sixth consecutive game with at least 13 steals for MSU. Mississippi State also put up 24 points off 23 turnovers in the victory of FAMU. 
Coach Purcell said the defense played well, and the team will be working hard to improve the offense. 
“Excited for the win. The defensive effort, unbelievable again.” Purcell said. “I love my team, but like I keep saying, I promise we’re working on layups and free throws. It’s only a matter of time before they fall in, and let’s make sure it falls in next week because we have two big [games] ahead of us.”
The Bulldogs celebrated their perfect 7-0 non-conference home record Thursday night after the win. MSU now has a 9-2 overall record and will be heading to Tampa, Florida to compete in the Sun Coast Challenge next week.

Aubrey Carter
Aubrey Carter, Managing Editor
Aubrey Carter is a junior communication major with a concentration in broadcast & digital journalism from Birmingham, Alabama. She currently serves as the Managing Editor and served as the Sports Editor from 2023 to 2024. [email protected]