The bounce back: Bulldogs thwart Bowling Green at home

Landon Scheel | The Reflector

An MSU defender skies up with a Bowling Green wideout for a contested catch. 

The Mississippi State University Bulldogs thwarted the Bowling Green Falcons Saturday and managed to get back in the win column with a 45-14 victory. 
Will Rogers threw for 406 yards, six touchdowns and no interceptions as he and the rest of the Bulldog offense cruised to an easy win. Rogers found 13 different receivers on the day and completed 38-49 passes for a 78% completion rate. 
“Well, I think we’re playing together,” Leach said after the game. “I think that the offense, defense (and) special teams were complimenting each other’s performance.”
That win pushes the Bulldogs’ record to 3-1 on the season after their lackluster defeat last weekend at Louisiana State University. This game offered MSU a chance to right the ship before conference play starts.
Caleb Ducking caught for 96 yards and had two scores himself, which tied him for second in the country as far as receiving touchdowns go. Leach spoke on Ducking and his improvement after the game. 
“I think he’s gotten better and better,” Leach said. “It was kind of a work in progress when he got here, but he’s worked hard and he’s a fast, relatively dynamic guy … when he uses his hands he’s awfully tough to cover … he’s gotten better and better the longer he’s been here.”
MSU only gained 46 yards on the ground in the victory, but that was due in the most part to Rogers putting on a passing clinic, as his six touchdowns tied his own school record for a single game. 
Zach Arnett’s defense made their own presence felt, with Nathaniel “Bookie” Watson leading the way with 10 total tackles. MSU sacked Bowling Green backup quarterback Camden Orth twice and picked him off once. 
Bowling Green lacked their starting quarterback Matt McDonald and head coach Scot Loeffler, which only added to the low chances of the Falcons exiting Davis Wade Stadium with a win. 
Late in the game, Bulldog backup signal caller Sawyer Robertson had significant playing time for the first time in his MSU career. Robertson is the highest-rated quarterback recruit MSU has ever signed, and this has contributed to some lofty expectations. 
Robertson did not really have enough time or chances to meet those expectations, tossing 3-4 passes for completions and racking up 11 yards in the process. 
After the loss to LSU, the special teams unit raised eyebrows among fans as a concern with the team moving forward, but the specialists did their part in erasing those concerns on Saturday. Kicker Ben Raybon nailed a 53-yard field goal, which tied the program record. Punter George Georgopoulos had himself a day at the office; he racked up 136 punt yards with a 45.3 yd average. 
All in all, Mississippi State can consider the bounce back complete. They’ll be 3-1 hosting Texas A&M University at home next week in their second SEC matchup of the season. 

Tanner Marlar
Tanner Marlar, Former Managing Editor
Tanner Marlar served as the Managing Editor from 2022 to 2023. He also served as the Sports Editor from 2021 to 2022.