Bulldogs kick the Wildcats into the night

Kathryn Beatty | The Reflector

Mississippi State University bested the University of Arizona in Pac-12 after-dark action Saturday with a final score of 39-17.

The Bulldogs traveled to Tucson, Arizona, for a rare out west road game. Mike Leach’s Air Raid offense performed well at times, but it was running backs Dillon Johnson and Jo’quavious Marks who gave the Bulldogs the edge in the desert. MSU picked up 106 yards on the ground against Arizona’s 40.
After the win, Mike Leach gave his thoughts on how the run game has faired early in the year.
“I think it’s been good. Our offensive line has gotten out to pretty good starts.  That’s been key. Our backs have been hitting it pretty hard. We’ve got plenty of work to do, but I feel in a lot of cases we’re off to a good start,” Leach said.
Although the Bulldogs dominated the ground game, Will Rogers’ play is not to be overlooked. Rogers followed up an impressive outing in the home opener against the University of Memphis, with an efficient game in Arizona.
Rogers threw for four touchdowns against the Wildcats, and the only blemish on his record was an interception that went off of the hands of his target, Caleb Ducking. That didn’t stop Rogers from targeting him, though, as the two connected for two touchdowns.
“Who cares?” Rogers said. “I’m about to throw the ball right to you again. You got to go make a play.”
Two of Rogers’ touchdowns were tight window passes to sixth-year wide receiver Austin Williams at the goal line. After the game, Mike Leach said Williams’ experience is key on the field. 
“He’s a real reliable guy, and that’s very important down there at the goal line. I think it rubs off on other members of our team. He plays hard when other guys think they can relax or give in. You have a good example in Austin still playing hard,” Leach said.
Even though the Bulldogs came out on top in the desert, they were by no means perfect. The Bulldogs turned the ball over three times, including two fumbles. However, the Bulldogs did not lose the turnover battle. Emmanuel Forbes, Nathaniel Watson and Jalen Green all came away with interceptions in the victory.
The Bulldogs’ defense looked to be in for a long game after an eight play, 75-yard touchdown drive by the Wildcats to start the game. However, the pass rush put pressure on sophomore Wildcat signal caller Jayden De Laura at times, and the secondary took advantage.
The defense’s play could be characterized as inconsistent, but they made the big plays when they needed to. Leach discussed the defense in his post-game press conference.
“We gave up explosives, let them march down the field,” Leach said. “A couple of the scores were too easy, but then, really, just key on the turnovers and the stops on fourth down.”
Most Bulldog players and fans got their first taste of PAC-12 after dark this week, but Leach is no stranger to the conference. Leach coached in the PAC-12 for seven seasons with Washington State University and had a 4-2 record against Arizona going into the game. Leach notched another after dark win last night.
With the win against Arizona, MSU improves to 2-0 on the season as the Southeastern Conference opener against Louisiana State University looms. The Bulldogs gear up for an evening battle with the LSU Tigers in Death Valley Saturday at 5 p.m.